Community discussions

MikroTik App

hagas64416
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik and trunk port?

Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:50 am

Problem: Tagged and untagged traffic via same network port?

On ISP router
IPTVs and other network equipment can be connected to the same physical router port: IPTV boxes are tagged with VLAN6 and network settings are assigned by ISP (IPTV ip starts with 10.X.X.X); any other home wired/wireless equipment is left untagged and IP is assigned by home router (device ip starts with 192.168.1.X)

Any 3rd party router
IPTV box needs to be connected to Tagged port, other home network devices need to be connected to routers untagged ports.

I can't use router provided by ISP because of reasons, but using 3rd party router means that I need to run additional network cables to some devices (eg., can't split internet between IPTV and TV with a switch behind TV, because TV would be assigned VLAN6 and wouldn't get internet access). I am 100% sure that magic happens in the router because IPTV connected directly to the fiber converter ends up with a public IP (7X.X.X.X) and doesn't pass registration. The only thing I can think off is a MAC address rule with a wildcard for IPTV devices (first six digits of mac address) - IPTV frames are tagged with VLAN6 and other frames are passed untagged (VLAN1?). ISP device is locked with master password, IPS reps doesn't cooperate on this matter.

Google says I need trunk port. Is google and my approach to the problem correct? Can this be done with MikroTik router?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: MikroTik and trunk port?

Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:18 pm

In Mikrotik universe this is called "hybrid port". Have a look at this tutorial.