Community discussions

MikroTik App

jweidman
just joined
Topic Author

CCR2216- router rebooted without proper shutdown, probably power outage

Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:04 am

contstant issues showing in 2 ways on the 2216

router rebooted without proper shutdown, probably power outage - this is happening sometims daily sometimes 3 times a day and sometimes not for a week. the router 100% for sure is not losing power we have 4 of these all plugged into same a b power setup. this is the only one doing this. this router happens to be our core runing ospf, mpls, vpls. we are also getting random drops on these protocols cannot find any smoking gun.

jweidman
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CCR2216- router rebooted without proper shutdown, probably power outage

Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:05 am

adding more info here - the protocols are actually not disconnecting from what i can see unless its so fast the timers are not catching it. but it will just stop passing traffic on a vlan for 3 to 7 min and then resume with zero logging of an issue. i found a post of someone else having similar issues here.

viewtopic.php?t=186556

contstant issues showing in 2 ways on the 2216

router rebooted without proper shutdown, probably power outage - this is happening sometims daily sometimes 3 times a day and sometimes not for a week. the router 100% for sure is not losing power we have 4 of these all plugged into same a b power setup. this is the only one doing this. this router happens to be our core runing ospf, mpls, vpls. we are also getting random drops on these protocols cannot find any smoking gun.

cwachs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:57 pm

Following. I am seeing this on a brand new 2216 with 7.7 on it. Took router out of the box, upgraded to 7.7 (from 7.5 factory) and then did a netinstall with no default config. Loaded a config from a working 7.6 router.

Seeing random reboots all that report power outage. This is in a data center with 2 separate power circuits into both PSUs. No other equipment in the rack is experiencing any power issues. I am 100% positive there is not a power issue in this equipment rack.

Sometimes it reboots 4x a day, sometimes it goes longer than a day without rebooting. a dozen OSPF and BGP connections but only a few hundred routes in the routing table. This is a border router with firewall rules just protecting the router and very minimal NAT.

wtechlink
just joined

Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:57 pm

I've got some 2216's that are rebooting. Sometimes they will start chain rebooting, 3-6+ times. Then they will stop. I also went in and disabled the all vlans and re-enabled one by one to see if I could see if it was something going on with one of the VLANs and it then it stopped rebooting. I've had this issue with 7.5, 7.6, and 7.7 now.

Only some of my edge routers do it the chain reboots, but I will see occasional reboots from most of them. I never had any issues with ROS6 and 1072's. The reboots will happen any time of day or night, it doesn't seem to be correlated at all with how much traffic is going through at the time.

I'm running, DHCP, OSPF, PPPOE, NAT, and queues for about 300 customers on this router. Seeing 17% max CPU usage and 1.1Gb usual peak bandwidth usage.

Worth noting is that I had 2 routers both start doing it at the same time last week. I think it might be OSPF related and one of them somehow set off the other or the same thing set off both of them. My head end OSPF router is still a 1072 running ROS6 and doing BGP at the same time. Upgrading that and separating out the OSPF and BGP onto different routers is the next step for me.

cwachs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:44 pm

I would suggest that anyone and everyone that is seeing this to open a support ticket with Mikrotik. The more data they get, the faster they will figure out the cause and fix it. Include a supout file with your ticket so they can see similarities.