Community discussions

MikroTik App

Hpat
just joined
Topic Author

basic multicast setup

Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:48 am

I am having trouble with what is probably a common task: I wish to view multicast video from a camera across a router.
I have a device with several network devices including an IP camera that uses an Rb2011 to interface to the world. It is running OS 6.47.8 and has a external IP 10.0.0.2/24 and an internal IP 10.10.0.1/24. The camera on that LAN is at IP 10.10.0.40. Eth1 is the WAN port and ports 2-10 are all bridged LAN ports. There are some port forwarding rules that allow me to access the camera's web configuration via 10.0.0.2:10400. The camera sends out the multicast UDP stream to 225.1.2.3.
If I configure my device to be on the LAN (IP 10.10.0.100) and connect on any open LAN port, I am able to view all perfectly as expected.
Configuring my device @ IP 10.0.0.55 and connecting to the WAN port (Eth1), I get nothing.

Per the Router documentation Multicast detailed example and other forum posts I found, I then added the multicast package and added the pim interface for all interfaces and added the rp with IP 10.10.0.1. Still I get no video. What am I missing?

In the example, they say to use the <IP of router A>. Is this the LAN side IP or the WAN side?
The example also specifically uses 2 routers. I am currently connecting my device directly to the the WAN port (both on the 10.0.0.x subnet). Must I add another router and configure it as described?

TIA,
Hpat