Community discussions

MikroTik App

HeinB555
just joined
Topic Author

Wrong MAC address being sent to captive portal

Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:20 am

Good Morning,

I have an issue where the wrong MAC address is being sent to my 3rd party captive portal. All my devices sends the same virtual MAC of the bridge interface, instead of the LTE interface, so the captive portal can not distinguish between them and I can not do reporting per individual site. Is there a way to bind the ports together without a bridge?

Kind Regards

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Wrong MAC address being sent to captive portal

Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:23 am

We have to know what your network looks like. Sanitized configurations would be helpful.

HeinB555
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:27 am

Hi,

The design is not complex at all.
I have 56 sites, each with its own router with a LTE connection and a hotspot setup on the WiFi interface and then I use the Ethernet interface just for management purposes.
Currently they are all in a bridge to enable switching between them. The issue as I mentioned is that now the traffic gets masked behind the virtual MAC on the bridge that is the same on all the routers.
So the 3rd party portal provider receives all traffic from the "same MAC", not allowing for individual reporting.

I am definitely not a Mikrotik expert, but I remember there was an option to slave a port to another port. But if seems like that feature is removed?
Do I have to do internal routing somehow to allow switching between interfaces without the bridge?

Kind Regards

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:24 am

Why is the bridge MAC the same on all routers?

In case it's just that you haven't thought of setting it programmatically, or don't know how to do so, here is some example code.
You can change it to use the interfaces you need. This is part of the setup script for the routers I ride herd on.
:set e2mac [ /interface ethernet get [find default-name=ether2] mac-address ];
/interface bridge set [ find where comment~"defconf" ] auto-mac=no admin-mac="$e2mac"

ChristianMorris
just joined

Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:28 am

Hi,

It sounds like you are using Mikrotik routers for your hotspot setup and you are currently using a bridge to enable switching between the LTE and WiFi interfaces. You mentioned that the issue is that the traffic is being masked behind the virtual MAC on the bridge, which is the same on all the routers, and that this is preventing the 3rd party portal provider from providing individual reporting.

One way to resolve this issue without using a bridge would be to set up VLANs on each router, as I mentioned earlier. You can assign the WiFi interface to one VLAN and the Ethernet interface to another VLAN. This way, the traffic on each interface will be separated and the 3rd party portal provider will be able to distinguish between them.

Another option could be to use the slave-port feature on Mikrotik, you can use it to enslave the WiFi interface to the Ethernet interface. This will allow the traffic to pass through the Ethernet interface but still be able to use the hotspot on the WiFi interface.

You can also look into internal routing to allow switching between interfaces without the bridge, but that would depend on your specific setup and the level of routing knowledge you have.

In any case, since you are not a Mikrotik expert, it might be a good idea to consult with a network administrator or a Mikrotik certified professional to help you with the configuration and ensure that the network is set up correctly. ;)