Community discussions

MikroTik App

AlohaSpark
Topic Author

CHR supported hardware interface list?

Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:09 pm

I'm planning to build a VM server then put CHR on it among other things.

1. Would it be better to have hardware interfaces as PCIE passthrough, or bridged via virtio?

2. If it's better to have PCIe passthrough, is there a list somewhere of supported Ethernet/SFP+ cards?

wpeople

Re: CHR supported hardware interface list?

Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:42 pm

I'm planning to build a VM server then put CHR on it among other things.

1. Would it be better to have hardware interfaces as PCIE passthrough, or bridged via virtio?
PCI Passthru is a way faster solution for VM networking.
With bridging - every packet needs at least 2 CPU cycle (one in host, one in VM),
using passthru the NIC is directly handled by VM

There is a middle way in between: SR-IOV and virtual functions.
with this, the NIC internally "splitted" to sub-interfaces and that sub-interface can be passed to VM

2. If it's better to have PCIe passthrough, is there a list somewhere of supported Ethernet/SFP+ cards?
Well, look for the RouterOS ethernet compatibility list, OR mount a VM's image in linux, and check the list of kernel modules listed in /lib/modules directory...

Archous
just joined

Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:43 am

Bumping this a bit. Is there something somewhere documenting supported NICs by RouterOS/CHR? We want to see what actually is supported in passthru mode and what type of NIC offloading CHR actually performs.

AlohaSpark
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:12 am

Bumping this a bit. Is there something somewhere documenting supported NICs by RouterOS/CHR? We want to see what actually is supported in passthru mode and what type of NIC offloading CHR actually performs.
Unfortunately I haven't found any such document.

As a small data point, Mellanox ConnectX-3 Dual Port (QSFP+ 40Gbps) and Intel X520 Dual Port (SFP+ 10Gbps) work just fine with CHR. They are connected via PCI passthru in Proxmox.

Archous
just joined

Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:30 am

This is good to know. I’m interested in 100G NIC support to be honest. It may be pushing it tho.