An5teifo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

IPv6 routing

Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:36 pm

Hello everyone,

crossposting my Reddit question also here:

as my ISP does not provide any IPv6 connectivity but still wanted to have it I rented a cloud server and deployed a CHR image from Mikrotik.

The cloud server provides a /64 public routable address but set the default gateway to fe80::/1 via ether1.

My local Mikrotik is connected via a Wireguard tunnel with IPv4 and v6 support.

Both endpoints can ping each other on both address versions.

From CHR I am able to ping any IPv6 addresses.

For routing I have enable OSPFv3 on both routers which also works.

My problem is that I cannot get from my local router to any IPv6 address via CHR.

I tried setting up a default route to CHRs public IPv6 address, a default route to fe80::/1%wireguard1 and also default gateway via OSPFv3 - nothing worked.

The only thing that works is to enable NAT66 on CHR....

Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPv6 routing

Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:20 pm

If your provider is only issuing a single /64 you are stuck with having to resort to NAT, you need multiple subnets to route IPv6.

If you have an IPv4 address which does not block IP protocol 41 you could use a free Hurricane Electric tunnel. They even support dynamic IPv4, you just need a script to call their update service when your WAN address changes.

bestwish
just joined

Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:02 am

I have the same question, could you post your CLI with NAT66?

ConradPino

Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:30 pm

Save your money; retire the cloud server. For years I have used Hurricane Electric IPv6 Tunnel Broker; it's free with access points on every continent.

Basic tunnel features dual /64 subnets; one for IPv6 tunnel link; one for interior LAN. Need more LAN? Add routed /48 option. Supports reverse IPv6 DNS with same HE account at https://dns.he.net/

The "Examples Configuration" tab has MikroTik support but with a minor bug. MikroTik example says "mtu=1280" which works but "mtu=1480" is correct value.

Hurricane Electric isn't alone in this space but I have never had cause to look elsewhere. HE has outages occasionally which I consider rare.