Community discussions

MikroTik App

Krakonos
just joined
Topic Author

Broken network with CAPsMAN (very slow speed and latency, disconnects)

Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:39 pm

Hello!

I have a situation that puzzles me for some time and can't find any way to move forward either to fixing it debugging it. Here is the setup:

I have one RB2011 that is a router, there are a few ethernet connections and two old wifi router (non-mikrotik, acting as a bridge). The setup works well, I have no issues. I wanted to improve the coverage and install a few cAP Lite around the premise, so I set up the CAPsMAN on the router (using the "Simple capsman setup" manual on mikrotik wiki) and connected the first cAP Lite.

First, I tried setting up the CAP manually, but after a bit of frustration (DHCP client stopped working on it, for no reason I could find) and ended up using the reset to CAP mode. In all my attempts, I end up with a network that is unstable: pinging router from the wifi created by the CAP results in erratic ping, frequently over 1s, occasional disconnect from the network and extremely poor throughput (less than 1Mbit, if it even works). I don't want to reset the complete configuration on RB2011, so I'll try to reproduce elsewhere with the same CAPs. In any case, I'm attaching the configuration for both devices as it stands, hoping somebody will have an idea.

Note that I'm using more or less the same setup on multiple other networks without any issues.

I checked CPU load on both devices when the problem is manifesting and found it to be around 1%, peaking to about 7% every now and then. Tried looking for loops in the network setup, but I don't think there are any. And the rest of the network just works fine, it's only when it goes over CAP it's a problem. I could go away from CAPsMAN, but I was preparing to setup around 5 CAPs eventually and would prefer the centralized management (speed is not really an issue, as long as I can reach 50Mbit on a good signal).

Ideas? Any advice is appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Broken network with CAPsMAN (very slow speed and latency, disconnects)

Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:27 pm

Might have to look better...I think some parts of the config is missing?
Why use 2.4GHz radios only?

[Update]
Was expecting some intelligent on the radio channel settings...I think it is currently configured as "fingers crossed".

Krakonos
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Broken network with CAPsMAN (very slow speed and latency, disconnects)

Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:21 pm

Why use 2.4GHz radios only?
I don't have any devices or services that would benefit from 5GHz, but a lot that benefits from the added range. I know I won't be upgrading for years.
Was expecting some intelligent on the radio channel settings...I think it is currently configured as "fingers crossed".
Yeah, there is exactly 1 other 2.4GHz network (with little to no traffic), so I didn't really bother, especially if even the simple case doesn't work. I did however checked the channels are far apart, so that's not the problem.