Community discussions

MikroTik App

woodchuck
just joined
Topic Author

Routerboard configuration as WiFi client

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:09 am

Hi All,

I am just getting started with the MikroTik gear, coming mainly from the Cisco world. I purchased a Routerboard RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN WiFi router to be deployed as the gateway device to my home computer lab. The layout is roughly as follows:

The lab network switches will use the Ethernet ports on the Routerboard to connect their external / internet interfaces. I would like the Routerboard to get its upstream connectivity using its own WiFi link to connect to the existing home WiFi router.

How would I configure the MikroTik Routerboard to do this?

Thanks for any advice!!!!

ak4020

Re: Routerboard configuration as WiFi client

Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:19 pm

hi:

Connect your device to the MikroTik wireless network › Connect to MikroTik (Winbox, SSH, telnet, IOS/Android APP) › Use a WiFi Analyzer to find channel of the public wifi– Or Background SCAN by mikrotik › Change channel of the physical wlanto match the Upstream AP› Put SSID of the Upstream WiFi in the Virtual AP– Wait for connecting
source with detail: https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/ ... 599323.pdf

3dfx

Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:44 pm

I would personally do the following (with Winbox starting from stock configuration):
1. Connect to a LAN port of the RB2011 with cable
2. Exclude the Wi-Fi interface from the bridge - Bridge -> Ports -> Delete the Wi-Fi interface
3. Include the Ether1 interface in the bridge - Bridge - Ports -> Open ether2 -> Copy -> Change the interface in the new dialog to ether 1 -> OK
4. Adjust which is the WAN port - Interfaces -> Interface list - WAN -> wlan1
5. Connect the Wi-Fi interface as a client to the Wi-Fi network of Home WiFi router - Wireless -> WiFi interfaces -> wlan1 -> Scan -> find the WiFi network and press Connect
6. Adjust the security settings of the WiFi client - Wireless -> Security Profiles -> default -> Mode: dynamic keys; Authentication Types WPA/WPA2 PSK (or other, depending on the security settings of the Home WiFi router)
If everything is OK with the security settings the RB2011 will connect to the home router
7. Enable the DHCP client of the RB2011 on the WiFi interface - IP -> DHCP client -> Change ether1 to wlan1

If everything is OK the RB2011 will receive an IP address from the Home WiFi Router and all of the clients connected to the Ethernet ports of the RB2011 will have an access to the Internet.

woodchuck
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:08 pm

Fantastic and helpful responses. Thank you guys!

multypla
just joined

Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:34 pm

@3dfx - thanks a lot for the provided steps, I was able to achieve a functional bridge from my LAN ports on a hAP mini, for the device to act as a wifi bridge to my CapAC APs WLAN.
The clients are now receiving IPs from the bridge on the default IP range 198.178.88…. even so the Wi-Fi interface is set as DHCP client.
The DHCP server runs on the bridge interface.

My issue is that clients can access the internet while connected via LAN but they are not receiving IPs from my main router (gateway).

1. how can I get the IPs assigned via the DHCP to the LAN ports (connected clients) of the main router through the Wi-Fi interface?

The setup I am on is a DSL router (gateway - DHCP) > bridged via RB960PGD > to CAPsAC (capsMan) > hAP mini (Wi-Fi bridge)

Thx in advance

3dfx

Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:07 am

Hi multypla!
If you want that the MikroTik just bridges the wireless and Ethernet interfaces you need to disable the DHCP server on the router and include the wifi interface in the bridge.
You should also remove the masquerade rule in the firewall.

phascogale

Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:30 am

@3dfx
Thank you for straightforward instructions, success proven by using a mAP with WiFi WAN to make this post.

A useful start to my experience with Mikrotik (an RB5009 is also waiting for me).

e3astwind
just joined

Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:17 am

I would personally do the following (with Winbox starting from stock configuration):
1. Connect to a LAN port of the RB2011 with cable
2. Exclude the Wi-Fi interface from the bridge - Bridge -> Ports -> Delete the Wi-Fi interface
3. Include the Ether1 interface in the bridge - Bridge - Ports -> Open ether2 -> Copy -> Change the interface in the new dialog to ether 1 -> OK
4. Adjust which is the WAN port - Interfaces -> Interface list - WAN -> wlan1
5. Connect the Wi-Fi interface as a client to the Wi-Fi network of Home WiFi router - Wireless -> WiFi interfaces -> wlan1 -> Scan -> find the WiFi network and press Connect
6. Adjust the security settings of the WiFi client - Wireless -> Security Profiles -> default -> Mode: dynamic keys; Authentication Types WPA/WPA2 PSK (or other, depending on the security settings of the Home WiFi router)
If everything is OK with the security settings the RB2011 will connect to the home router
7. Enable the DHCP client of the RB2011 on the WiFi interface - IP -> DHCP client -> Change ether1 to wlan1

If everything is OK the RB2011 will receive an IP address from the Home WiFi Router and all of the clients connected to the Ethernet ports of the RB2011 will have an access to the Internet.
Hi,

@3dfx Thank you for posting this as I was looking for it for a long time. I am using RB2011UiAS-2HnD Router OS 6.48.3 and I have implemented exactly the same configuration and I am connected to my home router using wlan1 (station bridge mode) and I have separate IP range on lan 192.168.88.0/24 as I wanted. I have also made a virtual wlan2 (ap bridge mode) and added it to my bridge1 (lan) but I can't get internet on wlan2.

Can you please help me here? How can I get internet on wlan2?

p.s. My firewall & nat rules are empty.
Last edited by e3astwind on Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

e3astwind
just joined

Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:31 am

Finally, I figured it out. All it need was a NAT rule which i was missing.
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat out-interface-list=wlan1
For webfig:

Go to IP > Firewall > NAT
Set Chain to srcnat
Set Out. Interface to wlan1
Set Action to masquerade.

Apply the setting & save it and check if the rule is enabled. If everything fine you will get internet on bridged interfaces.

Courtesy of @sob
viewtopic.php?t=183281#p913577

Thank you everyone for guiding noobs like me :)