Community discussions

MikroTik App

wessonew77
just joined
Topic Author

need help regarding hotspot

Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:09 am

hello

I want to setup hotspot in the company ,The company building is 4 floors , the main router is located on the ground floor, and ther're about 9 offices in the building each office has it's own swich and router (all switches connected to the main router) ,all switches are unmanaged switches,all PCs connected to the internet via cables connected to the nearest switch , while all mobile phones connected wirelessly to the nearest router . my qustions are:
1- if I setup hotspot on the main router (which I'm planning to use microtik routerboard) , will the hotspot work fine in other offices which has its own routers and each office has different network ID.

2- What is the best microtik router can handle about 100 users concurrently (50 PCs & 50 mobile phones)

hope to help me out to get best solution

Thanks in advance

waiting your reply

ConradPino

Re: need help regarding hotspot

Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:50 am

Perhaps you're new to radio wave propagation? I'll try to be brief.
Radio range is sensitive to distance, radio frequency, and building materials (electrical conductors are opaque).
2.4 GHz might; 5 GHz looks dim; commercial buildings often have steel frames and steel reinforced concrete.
Think about adding Wireless Access Points at the inner switches.

Found some goodies:
https://eyenetworks.no/en/wifi-signal-loss-by-material/
https://www.highspeedoptions.com/resour ... block-wifi

wessonew77
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:27 pm

Thanks ConradPino for your reply
maybe you didn't get my question , I know that Radio range is sensitive to distance, radio frequency, and building materials . my question was if I setup a hotspot in the main mikrotik router, and this main router connected to other routers (tplink and neties) with different network ID (say the main router IP address is 192.168.0.1/24, and the IP addresses of other routers connected to this router is 192.168.1.1/24 and 192.168.2.1/24 , and so on for the rest routers connected to the main mikrotik router) so if the hotspot configured in the main mikrotik router which is in the network 192.168.0.0/24 Does the hotspot configured on mikrotik work on other users connected to other routers with different network IDs (192.168.1.0/24 , 192.168.2.0/24 , 192.168.3.0/24 ,....etc

ConradPino

Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:15 pm

@wessonew77 you're asking if users connected to hotspot can reach the rest of your network; it depends.

If hotspot is Layer 2 Wireless Access Point (WAP) then hotspot users will be on subnet configred by main router firewall for the port used to connect WAP.
If hotspot is Layer 3 Wireless Router (WR) then hotspot users will be on subnet configred by WR and subject to WR firewall in addition to main router firewall for the port used to connect WR.

If all you're doing is setting up 1 wireless device then building layout doesn't matter given that paths to rest of the building are all wired.