Community discussions

MikroTik App

dksoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Any good practice to backup Router storage?

Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:29 am

Now we have containers, there is a lot of data on the external storage.
For now I use "scp" to backup that storage but it takes long and is always a complete backup.

Any idea for a good practice how to backup the external storage?

ChristianMorris
just joined

Re: Any good practice to backup Router storage?

Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:52 pm

Hi!!!
You could consider using a more efficient backup method, such as rsync, which only transfers the differences between the source and destination instead of the entire file. Additionally, you can schedule regular incremental backups using cron jobs to save time and resources. Another option is to use a cloud-based backup solution, such as AWS S3 or Google Cloud Storage, to store your backups securely in the cloud. Finally, it's important to also keep multiple backups stored in different locations for disaster recovery purposes. :D

optio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:14 pm

Mine (not so practical) solution is physically connecting storage on to backup computer and creating backup image of entire file system mounted on ROS each time I change something for containers setup persistence (on mounted directories) or when upgrading container image. It is not too often for my containers so this approach doesn't bother me and it is much faster than network sync.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:46 pm

Your options improve in 7.7beta3+, Mikrotik support RAID modes and rsync with the new "rose" extra-package:

viewtopic.php?t=192888