Community discussions

MikroTik App

mrksnlcln
just joined
Topic Author

Router was rebooted without proper shutdown

Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:18 am

I am using Mikrotik Haplite and I noticed my router keeps on rebooting after I activate the "Use DoH Server". How can I fix this issue?

Log:
router was rebooted without proper shutdown
kernel failure in previous boot
out of memory condition was detected

DNS Settings:
Max UDP Packet Size: 4096
Query Server Timeout: 2.000
Query Total Timeout: 10.000
Max Concurrent Queries: 100
Max Concurrent TCP Sessions: 20
Cache Size: 8192
Cache Max TTL: 1d 00:00:00

Firmware:

Model:
RB941-2nD

oleksiisereda
just joined

Re: Router was rebooted without proper shutdown

Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:43 pm

Hello. I've got the same issue today on the RB952Ui-5ac2nD R2 without any changes of configuration.
Version of routerOS 7.7

The Mikrotik router is behind NAT of other router.
Last edited by oleksiisereda on Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:37 am

Both cards weren't designed for v7, especially the SMPIS architecture is lacking throughout.
Put v6 back on it, the more we go on with the versions, the less performing the v7 will be.
Want to install Windows XP on a 486? You can install it, but then how does it go?...

mrksnlcln
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:15 am

Both cards weren't designed for v7, especially the SMPIS architecture is lacking throughout.
Put v6 back on it, the more we go on with the versions, the less performing the v7 will be.
Want to install Windows XP on a 486? You can install it, but then how does it go?...
I downgraded now to v.6.47 since from this version it supports the DoH. I will monitor if there will be another memory leakage. It's so frustrating that I even created a ticket to Mikrotik Support but their recommendation is upgrading to a more "powerful" router.

"We have analyzed the supout and tested DoH for memory leak and there isn't an issue with it. It looks like the issue is that the router has too little ram for it, so when you try to get multiple DNS request you will run in the issue. I would recommend upgrading the router to a more powerfull one or disable DoH."

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:06 am

Why you do not use DoH directly on your browser?
On more of them are already enabled or is just a click...
This hardware was not developed with DoH in mind (DoH did not exist at that time)

mrksnlcln
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:00 pm

Why you do not use DoH directly on your browser?
On more of them are already enabled or is just a click...
This hardware was not developed with DoH in mind (DoH did not exist at that time)
I can't do that to all of the devices in our home network. I am using NextDNS DoH to block the trackers, adult websites and other social media. So far after downgrading to v6, I don't encounter a random restart.

kvee

Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:09 am

I have the same problem as topic owner.
First I thought that it's power outage but maybe a very short time because my NAS in the same place with Mikrotik is still counting up time for many days while Mikrotik up time is 1 hour ago.
Those devices aren't with me here but in different place.

The log showing the same:
I couldn't find out why it is not just router was rebooted without proper shutdown like always (when power outage).

So, How do I know that what device isn't design for RouterOS v7? Because I don't see any limits on RB952Ui-5ac2nD product page.
However, I'm using RB1100AHx4 (no Dude).

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:26 am

The log showing the same:

Well, if it were due to power outage, then the log wouldn't contain the lines I highlited. So in your case ROS is having problems and the last line indicates what might be the cause. As to the reason ... you have to go through config and thing what might cause router to use excessive amount of memory. One possibility is some huge (dynamic) address list(s). Another possibility is excessive use of RAM disk. Yet another possibility is huge number of ongoing connections (the connection tracking table). And yet another possibility might be some large BGP/OSPF route table. And I'm sure there are other reasons for RAM to run out. Oh, yes, I forgot about containers (in v7).

So you really should have a detailed look at your device because we can't (and we can only guess).