Community discussions

MikroTik App

gnuttisch
Topic Author

router was rebooted whitout proper shutdown by watchdog

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:04 am

Hi,

Now it has happened again, the router rebooted without any reason. Tree times last week and two times this week.

The log it says following:
system,error,critical router was rebooted without proper shutdown by watchdog timer

And their is no supoutfile created?

Its a RB711G-5HnD that serves 4 clients, sxt.

Last weekend i upgraded the AP from 5.24, who had run flawless for months, to 5.26 and hopped that would fix it. But it didn't..

Anyone who has any ideas?

Have an open ticket on support, [Ticket#2013102566000215]

Regards

jspool

Re: router was rebooted whitout proper shutdown by watchdog

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:25 am

You didn't state if you were using watchdog or not. Are you using watchdog?

Attached is a picture of watchdog page. typically watchdog will reboot the router if it doesn't get a response back from the IP that it is pinging. thus the log showing rebooted by watchdog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gnuttisch
Topic Author

Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:05 pm

no, not using any ping service in watchdog, but its is enable by default.

I guess its because if something like kernel failure would happened, it should reboot. But, it dont create any supout?

gnuttisch
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:00 am

Anyone who have the same problem as I have?

laithmikrotik

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:46 am

Anyone who have the same problem as I have?
yes ..........

one time , i had the same issue...........
replace the wire that connected between the power adapter and rb711 with another wire CAT6/SFTP

Butchesky
just joined

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:52 am

Yes, I have same issue; my ptp link on sextant G reboots itself with 'router was rebooted wth proper shutdown by watchdog'.
Watchdog is already switched ON (with no ip of watch address). Due to manual, enabling w-dog causes reboot on kernel panic in this case.

Today I have tried switch off w-dog, result it was hanging up totally (only hard reboot helped).
Now I have switched w-dog on. Using fw 6.5.

There is new fw (6.6), will see, what happens after changing fw.

laithmikrotik: Changing cable to cat6 solves problem with this issue? R U sure about that?

MT support: is it really neccessary to use cat6/sftp cable, to solve rebooting problem? Is it possible, that is kernel bug issue?

gnuttisch
Topic Author

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:33 pm

I havent tested 6.6 yet. Iam currently running on 5.26.

I have been recommended from mtik to change the hardware.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:51 pm

I had an issue similar to this that I never sorted out.

RB433 running 4.17 randomly froze, I'd go out, reboot, it worked fine for a week, upgraded to 5.25, ran for weeks, then a week, then it did it daily.

I've swapped out the board and the problem has essentially gone away.

I'm using the 433 as an AP for my home with little issue. It does reboot occasionally on massive file transfers, that is irritating as hell, but it is mostly stable.

I really haven't begun to troubleshoot the problem yet.

rvzweb
just joined

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 pm

I have the same issue on CCR 1072 - cpu is 1000 MHz - fw is 6.40.1
Any ideas?

sakirozkan
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:10 pm

I have the same issue on CCR 1072 - cpu is 1000 MHz - fw is 6.40.1
Any ideas?
I have the same issue with ccr1072. fw 6.40.1

strods
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:20 pm

In case router reboots itself, then always:
1) Upgrade router to the latest current or even better release-candidate RouterOS version (if this is software issue, then it might be already fixed and if device is rebooting by itself it is worth to test this first;
2) If reboots persist, then generate supout file on router (and latest RouterOS version installed) and send it to support@mikrotik.com

Only we will be able to give you precise answer about what is going on with this router. Note, that upgrade and supout file are the requirements and the fastest way how to reach a solution.

whitbread
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:18 pm

As I have the same issue with 6.40.1 (see version thread) I would recommend to go back to 6.39.2 which works fine.

Sending supout ist certainly highly appreciated.

buset1974
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:59 am

I still have same issue in 2018 reported on CCR1072 with the latest RouterOS and firmware 6.41.2
i also already open ticket for this issue since Dec 2017 and no one answer with clear solutions, i've sent so many supout.
Support only reply once a day in working day only.

we still having freq watchdog reboot this today.

This is a massive important issue, mikrotik should handle it better.
It happen on their most expensive hardware (CCR 1072)

thx

tikpet
just joined

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:27 pm

I have the same problem with CCR1036, and I'm using two CCR1036 in the same position, but have a problem only with one of devices, is anyone found the solution?

omawnakw
just joined

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:38 am

I have the same problem with CCR1036, and I'm using two CCR1036 in the same position, but have a problem only with one of devices, is anyone found the solution?
Just having the same problem with my home HAP AC with cheap Step4Net SFP-03 module. It's pretty hot and lose link from time to time and after a series of short linkup/downs (I even didn't admit they happened because downtime were pretty short I only see them in log of the switch on the other side) my Mikrotik reboots with the same error in log. No supout as well. So if you are using SFP modules with your mikrotik first check logs on the other end to see if some of your SFP links aren't stable, also check if the modules are overheated. And for MikroTik RouterOS guys - is it OK that supout is not created if SFP module causes the kernel panic or something like that?
BTW didn't have any problem with my hAP AC for 2 years using it without SFP.

I have replaced SFP in my hAP AC and the problem has gone.

bradnz

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:38 am

Did those with the CCR1072 / 36 resolve the issue in the end? We are starting to get this and its causing massive issues for us.

MattParks
just joined

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:12 pm

My HapAc keeps rebboting due to a Kernel Panic. Does this several times a day. I have no other issues with the electrical devices on the same surge protector power strip. Bad DC power supply? What exactly will cause it to trip a watchdog timer and reboot due to a kernel panic error? The latest OS is loaded.

radenli
just joined

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:20 pm

I have the same problem on my HAP AC too.
It was rebooted 3 times in the last two consecutive days by the watchdog timer. There are no supout files generated somehow.
The router was running ROS 6.43.8 but upgraded to current 6.43.12 after the first reboot. (Firmware was updated too).
I use it as a bridge AP, no firewall/nat rules. Bridge Fast forward is enabled
Watchdog was checked by default but wasn't set to ping anywhere.
System health shows voltage is stable at 23.6V

imperia
just joined

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:33 pm

Today I experienced the same issue with hap ac and firmware 6.43.12.
"rebooted without proper shutdown by watchdog". No supout is generated after reboot.

radenli
just joined

Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:09 pm

Today I experienced the same issue with hap ac and firmware 6.43.12.
"rebooted without proper shutdown by watchdog". No supout is generated after reboot.
I unchecked the watchdog and it is working good (no reboot in the last 36 hrs). It might be a bug in 6.43??

omawnakw
just joined

Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:12 pm

Just having the same problem with my home HAP AC with cheap Step4Net SFP-03 module. It's pretty hot and lose link from time to time and after a series of short linkup/downs (I even didn't admit they happened because downtime were pretty short I only see them in log of the switch on the other side) my Mikrotik reboots with the same error in log. No supout as well. So if you are using SFP modules with your mikrotik first check logs on the other end to see if some of your SFP links aren't stable, also check if the modules are overheated. And for MikroTik RouterOS guys - is it OK that supout is not created if SFP module causes the kernel panic or something like that?
BTW didn't have any problem with my hAP AC for 2 years using it without SFP.

I have replaced SFP in my hAP AC and the problem has gone.
Few days after the SFP replacement the problem has returned. It reboots 3-5 times a day randomly. I've tried every stable RouterOS release since that and it didn't help. I can't provide any supout because it's not created. I've set all logging to disk but nothing had written.

KiLLeRRaT
just joined

Sat May 04, 2019 9:37 am

Hey everyone, any update on this?

I'm having the same issue. My hap ac lite keeps rebooting itself because of the watchdog. If I disable the watchdog, the entire unit becomes unresponsive and I have to power cycle it myself.

I'm on the latest stable firmware, and have also tried the latest beta.

I have tried the power supply from a 750G, but not sure if it's powerfull enough, so may show the same symptoms.

KiLLeRRaT
just joined

Wed May 22, 2019 11:39 pm

Bump?

benandjerry
just joined

Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Hello,

I have the exact same issue.. The Hap Ac reboots a few times a day with that error message. I noticed it happens the most at downloading large files or streaming videos. This problem persists since a year now and I always downloaded latest packages and firmware. I also did a reconfiguration twice and ended up buying a new one, and guess what? The new router does the same thing!

It's really disappointing that Mikrotik don't care about that problem. How should I use the routers for my customers if I don't even know that they work like expected? This problem seams to exist since 2013 when you look at this thread.

I really would appreciate a solution for that!

pvlcek
just joined

Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:17 pm

I experienced this behavior on HAP ac after 42 days of uptime and heavy torrenting. My educated guess is that there is a memory overflow issue somewhere.
So I updated the router to 6.45.6. The long-term 6.44.5 performed weird for me.

Also, try disabling Internet detect function. After doing this, my router is much snappier. Router's log also stopped being flooded with Internet Detect messages.
I am telling you this, because my issues started aroud the time Internet detect function was introduced.

However, I cannot provide you with any proof that this will help you.

batot
just joined

Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:39 pm

2) If reboots persist, then generate supout file on router (and latest RouterOS version installed) and send it to support@mikrotik.com
I was send too "MikroTik support #[SUP-98849]:" RB411 6.48.6.

PAJOOF
just joined

Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:22 am

i have a similar problem, but in this case... wen i lost power from my power supplier and once its back online it doe occurs from there all the vouchers i created and are already in use will all restart new session time .so i was asking is there any solution to that, like after regaining power supply