Community discussions

MikroTik App

w0lt
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Webfig Enhancement

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:49 pm

Within Webfig, is there a way to turn on "inline comments" much the same way we can do in Winbox?

If not, could that be added?

Thanks,

-tp

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Webfig Enhancement

Wed May 16, 2012 10:31 pm

+1 for inline comments in webfig, pretty please ;)

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 17, 2012 10:48 am

what exactly you mean by "inline comments" adding comments on items?

or in "Design skin" mode add note so it is visibla later on for everyone who uses this skin?

or something completely different?

siuslawbb

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:39 pm

yeah, that would be awesome.

Both in Winbox and in Webfig, the comments are displayed on top of the interface. In Winbox there is an option (inline comments) that move the comments over and make them appear as another column, thus minimizing the vertical height and making it much, much more readable. We've dug into the custom skins and can't find out where you can change the columns in Webfig like you can in Winbox. Or the inline comment option for that matter.

tamilmaran
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:44 pm

it is pretty useful when maintain the access list by commenting the client names in comments field & monitor over registration table with inline comments

nissandata

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:09 am

+1 from us too

adairw
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:53 am

Don't use web fig much (yay winbox) but inline makes things much easier to read.

Serhioromano
just joined

Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:51 pm

last comment 6 years ago and still no solution? Inline comments in WebFig please!!

berdux
just joined

Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:04 pm

So, is this feature going to be implemented sometime? It will be very useful for all of us using webfig..

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:15 pm

Why are you using Webfig and not Winbox?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:37 pm

(because use linux and do not exist a native LinBox)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:19 pm

I'm still hoping that at one time MikroTik make Webfig look and functionality exactly the same as Winbox...

SuMi
just joined

Wed May 17, 2023 10:49 pm

Hello,
I am using Mikrotiks for many years and configure it via Webfig or CLI (SSH/UART).Running Winbox proprietary application on non-Windows devices is complicated (as post @rextended) and WEB configuration interface is standard on network devices for many years.

I freshly installed RoS v7.9, that have inline comments in Webfig.

In comparison with previous versions, inline comments are less usefull and readable for me.
As example - in Interface list page or Firewall filter list page - there are many more important columns and I need to fit them to browser window.If I enlarge comment column to see full length of comments(which commonly have 10 or more words),then other important columns is out of browser window and I cant see it :(.
So because column order is not changeable in webfig, column for comment must be shrinked,so display 1-2 words.This is not so usefull.

In opposite, previous versions show complete comment without worry about place for other parameters.This is better layout for me - comments on separate row and other important parameters on own row.So I do not need to shrink comment column for display other columns as in v7.9.
And (eg in firewall) comments on own row optically separate rules for better orientation and readability.

For me +1 to rollback to comments on separate row (as in CLI).
Alternatively wish to add webfig setting with choice of comment display mode (own row vs. inline) or at least make column order changeable(for possibility to move comment column after more importatnt ones).

Sorry for my english.
Su_mi

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 20, 2023 5:24 pm

In comparison with previous versions, inline comments are less usefull and readable for me.
As example - in Interface list page or Firewall filter list page - there are many more important columns and I need to fit them to browser window.If I enlarge comment column to see full length of comments(which commonly have 10 or more words),then other important columns is out of browser window and I cant see it :(.
But for other people, inline comments are better because before each comment took at least one separate line and they could not fit as many lines over the height of their screen as they can now. When every line has a comment, that doubles the number of available lines and that is often very useful.

When you need full control over the display layout you need to use winbox, until webfig introduces that feature too.
(resizable movable selectable columns that are saved across sessions)

myleskeller
just joined

Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:49 am

This solution probably isn't for everyone, and I can only confirm that it works on my machine, but I wrote a userscript to convert the row comments into inline comments in webfig. It's probably not that efficient, but it gets the job done. You would need a userscript manager extension on your browser like GreaseMonkey, ViolentMonkey, or TamperMonkey in order to enable it.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/47556 ... e-comments

ConradPino

Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:18 pm

Why are you using Webfig and not Winbox?
@normis - What an incredibly arrogant question! Worse you've asked this elsewhere with similar tone.
Winbox is another learning curve not worth learning when CLI is best tool and Webfig is good visual tool.
IMO RouterOS CLI is eventually inescapable and a visual supplement helps productivity immensely.
Winbox loses because it's a Windows client tool that adds little once CLI becomes primary tool.
I never bothered with Winbox; I started with Webfig and jumped into CLI right away.

MirkroTik's good choices are (A) maintain and support Webfig well or (B) remove Webfig altogether. Anything else has reputation costs such as the above.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:45 am

Why would CLI be inescapable? This is not Cisco!
I only used CLI to export/import large sections of configuration, for the usual management of routers I never use CLI.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:11 pm

Webfig and Winbox are very similar, but Winbox is more user friendly, it has side by side windows and such features. It was an honest question. If one thing has something you need, why keep using the other thing ...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:16 pm

I'm still hoping that webfig will be enhanced at some time so it has the same features as winbox.
That really is possible using today's web features.

ConradPino

Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:12 pm

I only used CLI to export/import large sections of configuration
Welcome brother, sorry you hear your escape attempt failed.

ConradPino

Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:47 pm

Webfig and Winbox are very similar, but Winbox is more user friendly, it has side by side windows and such features. It was an honest question. If one thing has something you need, why keep using the other thing ...
Winbox is
  1. an extra download
  2. an extra installation
  3. an extra learning curve
  4. an extra maintenance item
  5. worst of all requires Windows.
Please accept the reality that some customers are leaving Windows behind which is already true for Android and Apple communities.

Webfig is much better positioned for a platform agnostic future.

So long as both Webfig and Winbox are offered by MikroTik both should be functionally equivalent such that one is a substitute for the other.
Winbox deserves a future so long as the customers it adds provide revenues sufficient to cover Winbox's development and support costs.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:20 pm

I only used CLI to export/import large sections of configuration
Welcome brother, sorry you hear your escape attempt failed.
What does this message mean? Please delete it.

ilm
just joined

Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:53 pm

The newly introduced 'inline comments' feature in WebFig would be nice if there were an option to switch between inline and 'separate row' comments.

+1 Option to change between inline and separate row

phili76
just joined

Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:43 pm

+1 as well, or autosize the comment field. Better to scroll or scale the browser window.