MikroTik App

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

7.8beta2 adds new package ROSE-storage

Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:06 pm

What's new in 7.8beta2 (2023-Jan-20 12:27):
!) storage - added new "rose-storage" package support for extended disk management and monitoring functionality (ARM, ARM64, Tile and x86) (CLI only)

What's new in 7.8beta3
*) rose-storage - added support for GPT partitioning (CLI-only)
*) rose-storage - added support for authentication and encryption for SMB (CLI-only)
*) rose-storage - fixed "rose-storage" package update (needs manual upgrade from 7.8beta2)
*) rose-storage - fixed SMB support for macOS clients
*) rose-storage - various stability fixes for SMB
*) rose-storage - prioritize block device export (iSCSI, nvme-tcp) over mounting

Manual (being updated):
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/x/YYBwCQ

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 7.8beta2 adds new package ROSE-storage

Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:17 pm

OMG great features !!!

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:23 pm

Windows users be aware that default built in NFS client does not support NFS v4 mode.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... s-overview

maybe anyone more competent in windows systems may comment on this. Is there any good third party tools or workarounds?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:49 pm

I tried it out. I couldn't get NFS working with Mac either. Happy to try more, but curious what the NFS path should be (e.g. is it the slot= ?)
SMB had as a smb-share= but there wasn't an equivalent for NFS.

See: viewtopic.php?t=192810#p979534

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:14 pm

simple "/" should work as path. Currently nfs/smb is applied to disk. If only exact folder is required on client side - use "slot/folder"
f.e. on linux initiator:
sudo mount -t nfs 10.155.166.7:/sata2/stuff /mnt/files

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:14 pm

Found the magic "-o" incantations, see viewtopic.php?p=979619#p979630
sudo mkdir <mnt_point>
sudo mount -t nfs -o vers=4.0,hard,bg,intr,resvport,rw <dns_name>:/<ROSE_slot_name> <mnt_point>
worked for me with raid1-part1 being the slot for the RAID1 SSDs in RB1100. I'd tried just -o vers=4.0 originally, but apparently that's wasn't enough.

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:34 pm

The minimum required was -o vers=4,resvport with rw needed if you want it writable. The other options (hard,bg,intr) have to do with error handling, background resolution, interruptions, etc. and can be easily Googled.

With the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, I'm maxing out the speed of the M.2 drive (2800Mbps in this case). I love it.
Last edited by sirbryan on Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:01 pm

How does SMB work from non-router clients? I got it working between a hAP AX3 and a 2116 by specifying the disk name in the smb-share parameter, with smb-user as blank, but from macOS command line, variations on sudo mount -t smbfs -o nopassprompt smb://192.168.x.x/nvme1 /tmp/blah fail with an authentication error, and "guest" doesn't work either.

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:56 am

I got an NVME to SATA adapter to add some drives to the 2116.

viewtopic.php?p=979716#p979716

Pretty slick to have file sharing options that approach source device throughput over the LAN.

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:49 pm

macOS fix for SMB will be available in next release

Rox169

Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:06 pm

macOS fix for SMB will be available in next release
Hello,

please fix this (SUP-104510) . Thank you

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:17 pm

Hello,

please fix this (SUP-104510) . Thank you
this issue is not related to new ROSE package. SMB in ROSE package currently will only support SMB2.1 SMB3.0, SMB3.1.1 dialects

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:32 pm

Curious on the recommend protocol/scheme to mount a container image on one RouterOS from another RouterOS using ROSE? Imagine it doesn't matter much in a lot of cases, but some thoughts on how to best to use ROSE for the remote storage for a container use case be helpful.

e.g. if on same 1G or 2.5G LAN segment, between for example RB5009 as client and RB1100AHx4 as storage server. Does the specific hardware (assuming supports ROSE) even matter in the selection process? e.g. is iSCSI or NVMe-over-TCP use more CPU/mem/etc intensive, etc. etc., since if the container host is on limited CPU/mem, sacrificing disk max speed to keep CPU/mem usage lower might be of some benefit in some cases too...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:51 pm

I tried it out. I couldn't get NFS working with Mac either. Happy to try more, but curious what the NFS path should be (e.g. is it the slot= ?)
SMB had as a smb-share= but there wasn't an equivalent for NFS.
slot is the name of the folder you will get in "Files". i.e. it is the local mountpoint.
I got the NFS client working with a Linux NFS server using this:
/disk
add nfs-address=192.168.1.3 nfs-share=/local/mikrotik slot=nfs type=nfs
It creates a folder "nfs" in /file with the mounted Linux directory in it.
Frustratingly, there are no error messages at all. When the mount does not succeed, you will not get the new folder in /file but there will be no other indication what is wrong.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:51 pm

The rose-storage module also has command additions in /file/sync.
However that is completely undocumented and not so easy to figure out...

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:04 pm

this is rsync, i will add documentation tomorrow for this

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:17 am

After attaching an SSD via an NVMe-SATA adapter (see 7.8b2 thread), I exported the SSD via NFS on a 2116. I then mounted that export from a hAP AX3, created a container with the storage pointed to the NFS share:
/disk
add nfs-address=192.168.x.x nfs-share=pcie1-sata1-part1 slot=nfs1 type=nfs
/container mounts
add dst=/etc/frr name=frr-etc src=/nfs1/frr-etc
/container config
set registry-url=https://registry-1.docker.io tmpdir=nfs1/docker-pull
/container
add remote-image=frrouting/frr:v8.4.0 interface=veth1 root-dir=nfs1/frr-root logging=yes mounts=frr-etc
(Note: @antonsb, is there a way all of the attributes of the container add command, such as remote-image, can be displayed in the export or print detail output so that we can easily replicate/reload containers if things go south, or copy the config from one router to another?)

Given the BFD vs. other "nerdy" features debate going on in the other thread, I thought I'd experiment with FRR in containers.

Fortunately, the hAP AX3 and the Mac are able to mount the NFS share simultaneously. This has been useful in debugging issues with this container. For example, the FRR container creates its /etc/frr directory with non-root permissions, the result being that the container can't create or write new config files (particularly vtysh.conf, zebra.conf, etc.). The parent directory (nfs1/frr-etc in this case) had UID:GID of 32868:32869, but the files created by the container were 32768:32768 (frr:frr inside the container). I couldn't change permissions from within the container, but I was able to fix them from the Mac.

Rox169

Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:50 am

Hello,

I did run this command
/disk add nfs-address=192.168.1.3 nfs-share=/local/mikrotik slot=nfs type=nfs
but I do not see any nfs directory in files is it correct? I see nfs only in disks management.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:44 am

Do you not understand that that was just an example and that nfs-address and nfs-share parameters will have to be adjusted to your local setup?

Rox169

Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:09 pm

NFS adress I changed but not the NFS share. So I will create folder NFS on my disk and than use this adjusted command. How do I remove this actual NFS share?

Thank you

zandhaas
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:25 pm

Did someone already try to mount an iscsci disk from his NAS (Synology) on a Mikrotik device (CHR) or is this not possible?

When I try to do this the add command hangs.
And when I try to reboot the CHR I see below message in the console:
Rebooting
Failed to stop diskd: std failure: timeout (13)
could not umount system: Resource busy
Last edited by zandhaas on Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rox169

Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:45 pm

Hello,

ho do I remove or edit existing nfs?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:21 pm

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:39 pm

@zandhaas I figured out how to get my hAP AX3 to mount a share off my TrueNAS. This assumes an iSCSI share on the NAS has been created/exported.
/disk add iscsi-address=192.168.x.x iscsi-iqn=iqn.2005-10.org.freenas.ctl:rose-iscsi slot=rose-iscsi type=iscsi
The first part of the IQN is configured on/provided by the NAS itself; the name of the share you created comes after the colon. The slot is the name you want the router to assign that particular disk.

Once it's connected, it looks like this (mine was 128GB):
[admin@lab-hap-ax3] /disk> print
Flags: B - BLOCK-DEVICE; M, F - FORMATTING
Columns: SLOT, MODEL, SERIAL, INTERFACE, SIZE, FREE, FS, RAID-MASTER, ISCSI-STATE
#    SLOT        MODEL                                  SERIAL           INTERFA             SIZE             FREE  FS    RAID  ISCSI-STA
0  M nfs1        nfs://192.168.xx.xx/pcie1-sata1-part1                   network  235 152 605 184  235 006 853 120  nfs   none           
1 BM rose-iscsi  iSCSI Disk                             0050569aa261004  network  137 438 969 856  134 145 351 680  ext4  none  connected
This router now has an NFS share from the CCR2116 and the iSCSI share from the TrueNAS box.

Since it's block level, unless it's already been formatted, you'll have to format it once connected.

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:41 pm

Hello,

At /disk, you'll type print, which will show you the disks, then you'll type remove and the number to the left of the bad NFS share.

Rox169

Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:36 pm

Hello,

At /disk, you'll type print, which will show you the disks, then you'll type remove and the number to the left of the bad NFS share.
thank you very much...worked

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:49 pm

Feel free to suggest other protocols and features that should be supported.

Rox169

Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:58 pm

please make ROS compatible with Hikvision cameras,,,, NOTHING is working...not ROS 7.7 with old SAMBA v1 not even ROS 7.8 with rose is not working NFS either,,,I just tried,,,,,milions peple are using Hikvision cameras....

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:37 pm

None – great work here. You've given a whole new life to the RB1100s we have. Just the RAID options alone is super useful. And y'all have multiple protocol for containers to use a remote disk...

So perhaps better docs on what you have help more ;). e.g. "F1" at CLI on ROSE doesn't have command descriptions:
[user@mt] /disk> /console/inspect request=syntax path=disk
Columns: TYPE, SYMBOL, SYMBOL-TYPE, NESTED, NONORM, TEXT
TYPE    SYMBOL           SYMBOL-TYPE  NESTED  NONORM  TEXT                                                                    
syntax                   collection        0  yes                                                                             
syntax  ..               explanation       1  no      go up to root                                                           
syntax  add              explanation       1  no      Create a new item                                                       
syntax  comment          explanation       1  no      Set comment for items                                                   
syntax  copy             explanation       1  no                                                                              
syntax  disable          explanation       1  no      Disable items                                                           
syntax  edit             explanation       1  no                                                                              
syntax  eject-drive      explanation       1  no                                                                              
syntax  enable           explanation       1  no      Enable items                                                            
syntax  export           explanation       1  no      Print or save an export script that can be used to restore configuration
syntax  find             explanation       1  no      Find items by value                                                     
syntax  format-drive     explanation       1  no                                                                              
syntax  get              explanation       1  no      Gets value of item's property                                           
syntax  monitor-traffic  explanation       1  no                                                                              
syntax  nvme-discover    explanation       1  no                                                                              
syntax  print            explanation       1  no      Print values of item properties                                         
syntax  raid-scrub       explanation       1  no                                                                              
syntax  remove           explanation       1  no      Remove item                                                             
syntax  reset            explanation       1  no                                                                              
syntax  reset-counters   explanation       1  no                                                                              
syntax  set              explanation       1  no      Change item properties                                                  
syntax  unset            explanation       1  no                                                                              

[user@mt] /disk> /console/inspect request=syntax path=disk,set
Columns: TYPE, SYMBOL, SYMBOL-TYPE, NESTED, NONORM, TEXT
TYPE    SYMBOL                    SYMBOL-TYPE  NESTED  NONORM  TEXT                                   
syntax                            collection        0  yes                                            
syntax  <numbers>                 explanation       1  no      List of item numbers                   
syntax  comment                   explanation       1  no      Short description of the item          
syntax  crypted-backend           explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  disabled                  explanation       1  no      Defines whether item is ignored or used
syntax  encryption-key            explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  iscsi-address             explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  iscsi-export              explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  iscsi-iqn                 explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  iscsi-port                explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  nfs-address               explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  nfs-export                explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  nfs-share                 explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  nvme-tcp-address          explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  nvme-tcp-export           explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  nvme-tcp-name             explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  nvme-tcp-port             explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  parent                    explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  partition-offset          explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  partition-size            explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  raid-chunk-size           explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  raid-device-count         explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  raid-master               explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  raid-max-component-size   explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  raid-member-failed        explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  raid-role                 explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  raid-type                 explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  ramdisk-size              explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  self-encryption-password  explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  slot                      explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  smb-address               explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  smb-export                explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  smb-password              explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  smb-share                 explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  smb-user                  explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  tmpfs-max-size            explanation       1  no                                             
syntax  type                      explanation       1  no        

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:42 pm

this is rsync, i will add documentation tomorrow for this
Can it only sync between path and network? Real rsync can also sync between two pathnames, so I tried:
/file/sync/add local-path=/ramdisk remote-path=/nfs
(I have a ramdisk and nfs mount configured)
hoping that it would sync everything I put in ramdisk to the nfs-mounted filesystem, but it does not work.
Also, what can I expect when mountpoints are crossed? When I sync / will it also sync the ramdisk and nfs mounts? (it should not)

issme
just joined

Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:17 pm

Bit of a long shot, but how about RDMA protocols such as RoCE or iWARP?

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:50 pm

One use case I'm picturing is a router with a large NVMe/MSATA store serving small partitions to end-user routers for containers like Pi Hole and Uptime Kuma, to avoid tons of USB sticks out in the field.

To make that happen, the following would be useful (in order of priority):
  • The ability to create multiple partitions (and subsequently unique shares for individual remote devices)
  • Basic NFS "/etc/exports" support (i.e. define shares and restrict per-share access by IP address, subnet, etc.)
  • Authentication for outgoing SMB shares (tied to on-router users or RADIUS would be nice) [does this eventually replace stock SMB server?]
  • CHAP authentication for iSCSI (not very resilient over a WAN, but less susceptible to permissions problems, unlike NFS & SMB)
I do recognize that some of this could easily be done from within a container (specifically a custom SMB server with a GUI).
Last edited by sirbryan on Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rox169

Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:08 pm

Hello,

do you know any SAMBA server which has web UI and is working in ROS container? I have bought hap AX3 but Hikvision cameras are not able to connect anything from Mirotik. With the cameras is not working SAMBA v1 in ROS 7.7 not even NFS from ROS 7.8 - rose storage is not working.

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:52 pm

Hello,

do you know any SAMBA server which has web UI and is working in ROS container? I have bought hap AX3 but Hikvision cameras are not able to connect anything from Mirotik. With the cameras is not working SAMBA v1 in ROS 7.7 not even NFS from ROS 7.8 - rose storage is not working.
I haven't found (or really looked for) any pre-built Samba servers. I built my own using alpine linux and adding the samba package, then created a custom config file. That would be a quick way to do it. But if you have more granular or detailed authentication requirements, you'd have to keep looking or build your own.

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:45 pm

While we're making feature requests...

It would be nice to have one massive underlying volume to take advantage of RAID benefits, then carve it out for sharing via the different technologies, i.e. one or two larger volumes for file shares (NFS/SMB), and a number of smaller volumes for block shares (iSCSI, nVMEof). You could do this with partitions, but then the partition sizes are fixed. With dynamic volume sizing, we could make better use of the backing store.

Two ways I can see implementing this:
  • LVM - probably easiest
  • ZFS - probably more complicated
With LVM, LV's could be formatted locally and shared (NFS/SMB), or LV's could become target LUNs for iSCSI/NVMEof.
With ZFS, datasets would be used for shared volumes, and ZVOLs for remote LUNs.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:01 pm

While we're making feature requests...
Or anything with journalling so you can do back-in-time restore of a file...

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:25 pm

ZFS - probably more complicated

Yeah, both BTRFS and ZFS are great choices but as the latter is a third party add-on (originated from Sun Microsystems) it would likely be harder to maintain.

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:26 pm

ZFS - probably more complicated

Yeah, both BTRFS and ZFS are great choices but as the latter is a third party add-on (originated from Sun Microsystems) it would likely be harder to maintain.
likely ? Look at for example the ZeroTier package ; MT released it at version 1.6.6 and it was never updated since then ... ZT is already at 1.10.x
Same with Wireguard.
If you cannot commit to maintain it, leave it!

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:45 pm

likely ? Look at for example the ZeroTier package ; MT released it at version 1.6.6 and it was never updated since then ... ZT is already at 1.10.xSame with Wireguard. If you cannot commit to maintain it, leave it!

I do understand what you mean. However, I tried to emphasize that a standard built-in kernel module like Wireguard is for obvious reasons much easier to maintain than a third party add-on like ZeroTier that requires much more work as part of the porting process. The same goes for ZFS.

Babujnik

Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:17 pm

not sure if this is purely to CHR related, but I can't properly list iSCSI on x86 machine:
[admin@lab] /disk> add iscsi-address=192.168.0.100 iscsi-iqn=iqn.2004-04.com.qnap:ts-251:iscsi.lab.f84517 slot=nas type=iscsi 
[admin@lab] /disk> pr

action timed out - try again, if error continues contact MikroTik support and send a supout file (13)
doesn't look like target issue, as can easily connect from linux box:
root@ubuntu:~# iscsiadm --mode discovery --type sendtargets --portal 192.168.0.100
192.168.0.100:3260,1 iqn.2004-04.com.qnap:ts-251:iscsi.lab.f84517
root@ubuntu:~# iscsiadm --mode node --targetname iqn.2004-04.com.qnap:ts-251:iscsi.lab.f84517 --portal 192.168.0.100 --login
Logging in to [iface: default, target: iqn.2004-04.com.qnap:ts-251:iscsi.lab.f84517, portal: 192.168.0.100,3260]
Login to [iface: default, target: iqn.2004-04.com.qnap:ts-251:iscsi.lab.f84517, portal: 192.168.0.100,3260] successful.
root@ubuntu:~# dmesg |tail
[ 1146.271269] scsi host1: iSCSI Initiator over TCP/IP
[ 1146.304530] scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     QNAP     iSCSI Storage    4.0  PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[ 1146.310141] sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
[ 1146.311223] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] 10485760 512-byte logical blocks: (5.37 GB/5.00 GiB)
[ 1146.312015] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[ 1146.312040] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 08
[ 1146.313021] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[ 1146.324904] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Preferred minimum I/O size 512 bytes
[ 1146.324929] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Optimal transfer size 8388608 bytes
[ 1146.365988] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk

rameex43
just joined

Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:27 am

Feature request: mirroring of the user database to a secondary server on another router, to be used as fallback in case the primary one crashes, is rebooting, etc.

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:27 pm

@rameex43
make raid1 with tcp-nvme drives

@Babujnik
Thanks we will try to fix this.

@sirbryan
Simple partitioning will be available in upcoming versions. We will check what we can do about LVM or ZFS.

@issme
RDMA is different beast, currently its not planned.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:25 pm

If MikroTik is seriously considering porting a ZFS derivative to RoS one clearly have no idea regarding the complexity in terms of kernel extensions, user space management procs and admin tools. All licensing issues must also be coordinated and approved by mr. Ellison before even considering starting the implementation process.

In terms of complexity, ZFS is orders of magnitude more difficult to implement than BFD.

Take my advice, if you're really looking to implement some sort of volume management or advanced file systems, pick something that already exists in the linux sphere. And since this is obviously not MikroTik's primary area of expertise, please do your homework before making any promises.

Soft-RDMA for eg RoCE/iWARP is pretty straightforward to enable in the linux kernel but for higher throughput (+10Gb) hardware support has to be implemented in the NIC driver. https://docs.nvidia.com/networking/disp ... chnologies

chrisfr
just joined

Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:22 pm

If MikroTik is seriously considering porting a ZFS derivative to RoS one clearly have no idea regarding the complexity in terms of kernel extensions, user space management procs and admin tools. All licensing issues must also be coordinated and approved by mr. Ellison before even considering starting the implementation process.

In terms of complexity, ZFS is orders of magnitude more difficult to implement than BFD.

Take my advice, if you're really looking to implement some sort of volume management or advanced file systems, pick something that already exists in the linux sphere. And since this is obviously not MikroTik's primary area of expertise, please do your homework before making any promises.
With latest kernels, btrfs is strong enought to be used by production solution (i used it for my own Nas, raid1c3 for metadata, raid5 for data). I think it could be easiest to implement and more compatible to different CPU arch (and it eat less ram than ZFS).
it could be a good candidate for ROSE

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:48 pm

OpenZFS for Linux is already done, is CDDL, and long outside the purview of Oracle.

I imagine a very limited subset of the under-the-hood knobs and settings would be exposed. Realistically, the "simpler" bits, such as disk pool, volume, and dataset creation, compression (on or off), and sizes/quotas for each would be sufficient.

BFD is being rewritten from scratch. OpenZFS is ready to go; it just needs to be compiled for the target architectures.

As mentioned, it already exists in Linux land. And the beta period is the perfect time to do homework, like containers between 7.1rc3 to 7.6.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:40 pm

OpenZFS is neither part of the Linux kernel nor in any standard distribution, it's an add-on package that can be downloaded from https://openzfs.org/ and may be compiled for a number of platforms.

Some background on ZFS, ZoL, OpenZFS...
- https://www.truenas.com/blog/zfs-vs-openzfs/
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenZFS

OpenZFS is still under development, why not to ask MT lead technical manager if they are willing to take full responsibility for any potential bugs during commercial use. Using OpenZFS for full production has some obstacles that shouldn't be underestimated. Those companies that do offer commercial operations are specialized in storage solutions and have full time employees doing nothing else but focusing on that, which definitely is not Mikrotiks area of expertise. But hey, it's just data...
- https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues

Regarding licensing, ask the MT legal team if they are comfortable to bring in OpenZFS.
- https://www.google.com/search?q=OpenZFS+license+issue
- https://itsfoss.com/linus-torvalds-zfs/
- https://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-tor ... signs-off/
- https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24269167

Bottom line, forget about ZFS.
Last edited by Larsa on Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:31 pm

Thank you for replaying the last few years of my ZFS research and experience back to me. I have deployed a number of TrueNAS servers since 2015, and ran OpenZFS on my Macs for a time.

He asked for ideas. I gave him some. I don't expect all of them to flesh out. If MikroTik determines it's worth the risk and effort to include any of them, then great.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:57 pm

Good for you but using OpenZFS or similar for commercial purposes in a volume-based standard product line like routers is something completely different.

I really hope for their own sake they don't try to enter the storage solutions market. In my opinion, it would be a complete disaster unless they start a separate company that doesn't affect the rest of the business. But as I said, forget about ZFS for regular MT routers.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:42 pm

I really hope for their own sake they don't try to enter the storage solutions market.
I'd think the immediate need is so @Normis doesn't need a Synology NAS at his house, than an data center solution...

But some Mikrotik wrapper around LVM does sound more reasonable than ZFS. I do think "snapshots" would be a useful feature, I'm indifferent on file system selection.

Babujnik

Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:56 pm

@rameex43
make raid1 with tcp-nvme drives

@Babujnik
Thanks we will try to fix this.

@sirbryan
Simple partitioning will be available in upcoming versions. We will check what we can do about LVM or ZFS.

@issme
RDMA is different beast, currently its not planned.
must have been issue from QNAP side, as iscsi disk shared from linux host works without problems on CHR:

Flags: B - BLOCK-DEVICE; M, F - FORMATTING
Columns: SLOT, MODEL, SERIAL, INTERFACE, SIZE, FREE, FS, RAID-MASTER, ISCSI-STATE
# SLOT MODEL SERIAL INTERFACE SIZE FREE FS RAID-MASTER ISCSI-STATE
0 BM iscsi VIRTUAL-DISK beaf11 network 1 073 741 824 1 020 669 952 ext4 none connected

qnap errors in dmesg:

[181487.835516] not support iscsit tcp zmc
[181487.859098] iSCSI/lab: Unsupported SCSI Opcode 0xa3, sending CHECK_CONDITION.
[181487.992417] iSCSI/lab: Unsupported SCSI Opcode 0x85, sending CHECK_CONDITION.
[181488.001055] TARGET_CORE[iSCSI]: Expected Transfer Length: 2048 does not match SCSI CDB Length: 0 for SAM Opcode: 0x12
[181488.012043] ITT: 0x0000002a read_data_left is zero!

Babujnik

Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:07 am

Interesing, as there seems to be issue while trying to run containers from iscsi/nfs disks:

[user@lab] /container> add remote-image=pihole/pihole:latest interface=test envlist=pihole_envs root-dir=iscsi/pihole
[user@lab] /container> pr
 0 name="961c061d-628b-4b29-9cc5-1b25152952f8" tag="pihole/pihole:latest" os="" arch="" interface=test envlist="pihole_envs" root-dir=iscsi/pihole mounts="" dns="" status=extracting 
[user@lab] /container> pr
 0 name="961c061d-628b-4b29-9cc5-1b25152952f8" tag="pihole/pihole:latest" os="linux" arch="amd64" interface=test envlist="pihole_envs" root-dir=iscsi/pihole mounts="" dns="" status=error 

10:03:49 container,info,debug importing remote image: pihole/pihole, tag: latest
 10:03:49 system,info item added by noyes
 10:03:51 container,info,debug getting layer sha256:8740c948ffd4c816ea7ca963f99ca52f4788baa23f228da9581a9ea2edd3fcd7
 10:03:59 container,info,debug layer sha256:8740c948ffd4c816ea7ca963f99ca52f4788baa23f228da9581a9ea2edd3fcd7 downloaded
 10:04:07 container,info,debug was unable to import, container 961c061d-628b-4b29-9cc5-1b25152952f8

chrisfr
just joined

Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:25 pm

Is there a way to reduce the size of ROSE package (or split client and server parts ?) ?
3.6MB is too much big for mikrotik devices with 16 MB SPI flash storage. These small devices could have an external iscsi or NFS storage to put containers .

thanks

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:13 am

MikroTik is already working on a RouterOS Custom Builder that let's you build an installable image containing only the features you want and need installed.
LOLNO.
But it would've been nice if they did.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:36 am

The entire infrastructure is in place to do that, but apparently the have chosen not to do that anymore.
I think there is only one thing missing in the package management system: a menu that presents a list of available packages for the architecture, and allows you to select and install some of them.
(instead of having to download and unzip a .zip file, then upload some files out of that to the router)
It should be really easy to add that...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:03 pm

Zerotrust cloudflare tunnel in an options package would allow safe and secure access to servers and then for arm users, one could further use zerotier to stream crap, look ma no hands and no stinking containers.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:14 pm

Are RouterOS paths technically prefixed with a "/", or not in scripting? Seem inconsistent in what's suppose to be "right". While tangental to ROSE, having some canonical path format would be nice.

Generally I've assumed RouterOS does NOT prefix paths with a.slash / – but V7 keeps becoming more a hodgepodge of what's accepted for file paths in commands – both in CLI/winbox and externally via protocols. e.g. container file= is one that won't accept something with a starting slash, while others cmd attributes elsewhere seem indifferent or require a starting slash – without the [:pick] before, container can't be added using $path.
:global path "/nfs1/images/disk1"
# ...
/container add file=[:pick "$(path)/$(containername).tar" 1 999] ...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:28 pm

What is seen as "root" directory in user context of RouterOS is actually a subdirectory inside the Linux filesystem. "files" shows that subdirectory as if it is the root directory.
Maybe it would be nice when everything acted as if there was an implicit "chroot" to that directory.
It could even be more secure when that actually was the case...

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Maybe it would be nice when everything acted as if there was an implicit "chroot" to that directory.
LOL, 100% agree there should be some "implicit chroot" – but left wondering, since Docker been around a while, how many people even know "chroot" ;).

For a long while the "disk1/mydir/myfile.txt" was pretty universal. I'm sure contiainer threw a wrench in the scheme – still the image path to add and RouterOS-side of mount paths differ in their "slash support". Now ROSE wants the "/" because other protocols expects it. Anyway it's a bit confusing on what's "right" for the path, and ROSE add even more cases to the mix.

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:46 am

What is the target's full iqn that we should use when connecting to an exported iSCSI volume from a third-party device? I'd like to try booting an Intel NUC here in my lab.

szastan

Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:29 pm

would be awesome if you could include S3-compatible client (linux s3cmd maybe?) for auto backup with versioning and recovery

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:26 pm

How about just an "ln -s" or some kinda "alias"? For example, I'd still like to have some /disk1 (or whaterver) - just be an symlink/alias to the busX-partY scheme.

The underlying issue is that ROSE client can pick the mount name, so less of an issue there. But if the same script runs on a ROSE server, the path isn't the same without mucking with the slot= names, which sometimes requires reformatting. And I do actually like the busX-partY scheme, just want to make an well-known alias for the "default disk".

Maybe one of the protocols act like a loopback for the same device (e.g. it's a client and server) to essential achieve the same result? But seems overkill when the analog of "ln -s" is really what I'm looking for.

ntblade
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:30 pm

Hi all,
I want to mount a specific share on MTik as the client on an NFS server running on a linux box with 2 exports:

/mnt/test
/var/nfs-shares/general

I want to mount /var/nfs-shares/general in slot "dockers". Testing from another linux box:
mount 192.168.100.135:/var/nfs/general /nfs/general
This works but attempting similar in ROS:
/disk add type=nfs nfs-address=192.168.100.135:/var/nfs-shares/general slot=dockers
invalid value for argument nfs-address
Also, if I do:
/disk add type=nfs nfs-address=192.168.100.135 slot=dockers
file pr
Columns: NAME, TYPE, SIZE, CREATION-TIME
#  NAME                      TYPE       SIZE     CREATION-TIME       
0  auto-before-reset.backup  backup     26.4KiB  jan/01/1970 01:00:04
1  dockers                   disk                apr/01/2023 10:55:33
2  dockers/var/nfs           directory           apr/01/2023 11:00:47
3  dockers/var/nfs/general   directory           apr/01/2023 11:22:50
4  dockers/mnt/test          directory           apr/01/2023 12:09:19
5  dockers/var               directory           apr/01/2023 11:00:47
6  dockers/mnt               directory           apr/01/2023 12:09:19
The router is mounting BOTH of the NFS exports on the server!

Can anyone help please?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:15 pm

The correct syntax is:
/disk
add nfs-address=192.168.100.135 nfs-share=/var/nfs/general slot=dockers type=nfs

ntblade
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:39 pm

Thank you so much for responding so quickly pe1chl! I checked the docs but was unable to find this. Could you tell me where this is documented?

Thanks again :D :D :D

N

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:50 pm

It is explained further above in this topic, e.g. reply #14.
It is not yet well documented in the help system.

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon May 01, 2023 10:58 am

Anyone using a Synology NAS and was able to mount a NFS-export onto a Mikrotik ? (I'm using RB3011-ARM here to test)
It just won't work, getting "Protocol Not Supported" error ?
(while I use the Synology with a bunch of mounts to other systems here, media-players etc. In-house I only do NFS)
I created a new file-share specific for this.

Flags: B - BLOCK-DEVICE; M, F - FORMATTING; p - PARTITION
Columns: SLOT, MODEL, SERIAL, INTERFACE, SIZE, FREE, FS, RAID-MASTER, NFS-STATE
# SLOT MODEL SERIAL INTERFACE SIZE FREE FS RAID-MASTER NFS-STATE
0 magnetonas nfs://172.29.45.251/volume1/Mikrotik network none Protocol not supported

So this ROSE-package support (only) NFSv4 right ? (I tried enabling/disabling NFSv4.1 on the NAS, no difference)

The CLI-command is really simple ;

nfs-address=172.29.45.251 nfs-share=volume1/Mikrotik slot=magnetonas type=nfs

Nothing more to do no ?

UPDATE : I managed to get SMB working in like 1 minute ... still I prefer to use NFS ...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 01, 2023 4:17 pm

Try with NFS v3, that works for me...

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon May 01, 2023 6:30 pm

Try with NFS v3, that works for me...
Hmm, I can't really force that on the NAS. I can enable/disable NFSv4.1 , but other than that its "enable or disable" NFS as a whole.
Is there some command-flag on the ROSE package to force NFSv3 ? (doesn't like like it....)