Community discussions

MikroTik App

CreativeBall
just joined
Topic Author

New to Microtik, need some help

Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:31 pm

Hello everyone,
I have been using Ubiquiti products for a long time, so please be kind. The UI for this system is very different than I am accustomed to.

I am attempting to get a pair of SXT units to bridge together.
I found this document: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Bridging ... s_with_SXT
I now have a successful connection, but I have a couple of problems.
1) In the WinBox program only one of the SXT units appears when I am connected to it directly through my ethernet port. The other SXT does not appear.
2) Can I set up the interface to receive a DHCP address, but to "fall back" to use Static IP if there is no DHCP address appearing?

CreativeBall
just joined
Topic Author

Re: New to Microtik, need some help

Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:23 pm

I also have a question about Stations.
I would like to connect a SXT to a Non-Mikrotic AP. When I select "Station", I do get a connection but no traffic seems to pass through it. How do I get it to correctly bridge the connection?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:33 pm

1) In the WinBox program only one of the SXT units appears when I am connected to it directly through my ethernet port. The other SXT does not appear.
The howto you've referred to places both devices into the same bridge and assigns them addresses from the same subnet, so it should work. But the howto is quite outdated, so it is well possible that some of the current factory default settings that you haven't changed (because the manual doesn't mention them as they didn't exist when it was written) prevent Winbox connection to the remote device via the wireless link. Or you may have missed a step, that's why it is always necessary to post the export of the actual config rather than to just refer to an instruction you have followed. So open a command line terminal (by pressing the [New Terminal] button in Winbox), type /export hide sensitive file=some-name and press Enter in that window, then download the file some-name.rsc, remove the serial number from it in a text editor and post the rest here between the [code] and [/code] tags. And do that for both SXTs.

2) Can I set up the interface to receive a DHCP address, but to "fall back" to use Static IP if there is no DHCP address appearing?
You cannot configure the fallback like Windows, where the "automatic address" is only assigned if DHCP doesn't provide any address before timeout, but you can assign a static address (or even multiple ones) to an interface in parallel to attaching a DHCP client to it.

I also have a question about Stations.
I would like to connect a SXT to a Non-Mikrotic AP. When I select "Station", I do get a connection but no traffic seems to pass through it. How do I get it to correctly bridge the connection?
As the AP is a non-Mikrotik one, you cannot get a real bridge, because the standard wireless protocol uses a single field for both the MAC address of the station and the MAC address of the frame source. So to allow a device behind a station to connect to a device beinhd the AP, you have to use the station-pseudobridge mode and hope that the DHCP server behind the AP assigns IP addresses based on the client ID field rather than based on the source MAC address of the DHCPDISCOVER/DHCPREQUEST.

CreativeBall
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:30 pm

Hello,
I attempted to do as you say, but I am uncertain how to download the file. Can you provide some guidance?

I have managed to get a bit further along. I am using this format: ISP's Router > Mikrotek SRT AP Bridge >Mikrotik SRT Station (Or Station Bridge or Station Pseudo-bridge) > Single device.
I can get traffic to pass if I set a static IP address to the device. But the DHCP from the router can not assign an address to any of the Mikrotik devices or the item I am trying to connect through the bridge.

CreativeBall
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:42 pm

Disregard that, I did find how to download the file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

frengo
just joined

Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:19 pm

Salutations. I too am new to Mikrotik but I really appreciate this brand.

I tried to make a small wifi network and it seems to work fine but now I need to use the "Safe Mode" and I don't understand how to use it.

I need Safe Mode to remotely enter the MAC Addresses of the CPEs that can associate with the Access Point so as to make it impossible for clients that are not on that list to associate.

How can I use Safe Mode so that if I make a mistake in entering a MAC remotely I don't need to go on site?

Can anyone help me ?

THANK YOU

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:58 pm

You should have open a new topic rather than piggy-backing one with a loosely related title.
I need Safe Mode to remotely enter the MAC Addresses of the CPEs that can associate with the Access Point so as to make it impossible for clients that are not on that list to associate.
How can I use Safe Mode so that if I make a mistake in entering a MAC remotely I don't need to go on site?
Once you enter safe mode, the subsequent configuration steps are recorded; if the management connection interrupts before you exit the safe mode, all the configuration steps taken since entering safe mode are reverted. The capacity of the buffer is limited, so do only the absolutely necessary number of steps during the same safe mode "session".

In GUI (Winbox or WebFig), there is a [Safe mode] button you press to enter safe mode and press again to exit it (and flush the rollback buffer); in command line mode (ssh, telnet, mac-telnet), Ctrl-X is used to enter and exit the safe mode.

Regarding your fear - if you access the device via wired connection but you are going to use wireless access list to filter the MAC addresses, you cannot lock yourself out. You would have to block the MAC address of the gateway through which you access the device, using some bridge filter rules or switch chip filter rules.

Also, bear in mind that it is quite simple these days to forge a MAC address, so granting access up to MAC address alone is not a big obstacle for a determined attacker.

frengo
just joined

Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:33 am

OK thank you.

So for now I will use your information and
If I still need i'll open a new thread.

Thank you

johann75
just joined

Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:24 am

I still could not understand how to use Safe Mode. When I enable it, the device is still saving running config before reboot or disconnect. I lost connection a few times to CHR v7.7 on AWS because of the misconfig and lake of knowledge.

johann75
just joined

Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:33 am

Looks to be working in a terminal session with CTRL+X, but not in WinBox. Must is a WinBox or v7.7 SW glitch.

johann75
just joined

Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:49 pm

What I have noticed, you need to click on Safe Mode before opening any configuration window. If I have a few windows open before clicking on Safe Mode, the configurations in that windows will be simple saved unsafe.

404Network
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:51 pm

Safe mode works great. Make changes, wait 15 secs, then unselect safe mode to SAVE changes, then select safe mode for next changes etc......