Community discussions

MikroTik App

ROBPER
just joined
Topic Author

ZeroTier private moons - roots

Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:02 pm

Dear all,
since July 2022, I succesfully configured in bridge mode my ZeroTier network on:

* DESKTOP
* LAPTOP
* wAP R AC running RouterOS 7.4

I'm also using two VM instances, with different public IP address, running ZeroTier version 1.10.2. (Op Sys == Ubuntu).

These two VM act a private ROOT SERVERS only (as described here https://docs.zerotier.com/zerotier/moons/);

Adding my private moons ID to clients in Windows PC and Linux, using the "zerotier-cli orbit" command followed by the two MOON_ID, works as expected, adding the moons to the peers list as attached image.

Question: in RouterOS 7.4, is there a way or a specific command to add private root servers ID, in order to the ZeroTier client to have and use them in the list of peers ?

Thank You
Roberto
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

richinuk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: ZeroTier private moons - roots

Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:01 am

+1. Also interested in this feature enhancement.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:30 am

Private Root Servers (aka moons) could possibly be implemented as a container services but I'm pretty sure MT won't incorporate it as a standard package. You can host a private root service on your own server or on a cloud services.

- https://docs.zerotier.com/zerotier/moons/
- https://www.zerotier.com/2021/07/20/zerotier-makes-running-private-cloud-storage-more-accessible-and-easier-to-use/

tiernano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:03 pm

but I'm pretty sure MT won't incorporate it as a standard package.
IIRC, Mikrotik dont build the Zerotier package for Router Boards. Its done by Zerotier themselves... You might want to reach out to them on their twitter/mastodon accounts...

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:26 pm

Well, if you pay MT or ZeroTier Inc enough, I'm pretty sure they'd be willing to look into the possibility of implementing a root server that could _possibly_ fit inside a container. Otherwise, it's up to you to fix it. Be aware that you won't be able to use the standard ZeroTier apps and the administrative web interface using a private root server.

Anyway, back to @ROBPER original question. MT has most probably implemented the standard linux client using hardcoded settings specificallyfor the ZeroTier controllers thus needs to add a new interface to allow private ones.

ROBPER
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:35 pm

Dear all, thank You for support and reply.

Regards

Roberto