Community discussions

MikroTik App

granjow
Topic Author

Disable CAP mode without UI

Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:28 pm

Hi,

I have an ax³ which I want to use for CAP. I enabled CAP with the reset button, and the rest worked without issues. Then I misconfigured something and lost connection to it.

Now, how do I get out of CAP mode without netinstall? Reset configuration resets conf, but the default conf it then loads is the CAP configuration with bridged interfaces, and I don't get the 192.168.88.1 IP on the etherX interfaces. Winbox works, but that only runs on Windows, and I want a non-Windows solution. When I can get into CAP mode by merely holding a button on power on, I want go get out of it in a similar way.

Simon

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Disable CAP mode without UI

Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:42 pm

/system/reset-configuration caps-mode=no

granjow
Topic Author

Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:44 pm

Yes well, I cannot connect to it because misconfigured. So no SSH/WebFig access.

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:49 pm

The reset button puts it into reset config mode, caps mode or netinstall mode. Choose which one works best for you.

You might need to have it be a cap temporarily so you can reset it the way you want it to.

granjow
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:52 am

So the idea is that I do reset config, which will load the default CAPs configuration (if it was a CAP before), and then hope it gets a DHCP address from somewhere so I can use that address to configure it to non-CAP mode?

mrfo
just joined

Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:09 pm

I intended to reset the router to factory settings but did not know it has 3 "reset levels". Only the first one is what a regular home user of hap ax lite would consider a reset. Other two are switching a router to some mode not relevant to a home user. It happened to me and I ended up in caps mode. I though I will document it here so if anyone else is stuck then they at least have some information on how to get out of this. First, Mikrotik really should not allow putting simple home routers accidentally to caps mode. But if it happens:

1. Find another router that works (does not need internet access, but must have DHCP - e.g, any router should have this)
2. Connect mikrotik router to another router using Internet port on Mikrotik and normal LAN port on another router.
3. Now Mikrotik should get an IP address from another router. Find it out (e.g., admin panel of another router shows connected clients and their assigned IP's)
4. Connect your computer to the same network (e.g. to another router). You might connect via cable or using Wifi, does not matter.
5. Open terminal or command line
6. Type "telnet x.x.x.x" where x.x.x.x is the IP address from Step 3 (for example, 192.168.0.65)
7. Login as "admin". Password was empty for me (although there was initial password for user interface before). Then it prompts you to change the password, you can enter just one digit there.
8. F1 gives you help and shows commands, but what you need is this:
9. type "system" and prompt changes to "[admin@MikroTik] /system>"
10. type "reset-configuration caps-mode=no" and confirm with y

Done! The router reboots to those factory settings that you wanted instead of caps mode :)
I struggled a lot to get my router back from the being a stupid brick so I though I'll post it here in case someone else has the same problem. If there is anyone who knows how to achieve this in a more sensible way, please comment. It was not possible to get back to "normal mode" by using the reset procedure. Looks like once in caps mode, your router is a brick until you learn how to hack in :)