Community discussions

MikroTik App

luckyjay
just joined
Topic Author

Help a newbie out: How to connect two points with long-distance wireless

Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:47 am

Hi guys, really happy to be joining here!

So at my home, there is a bad mobile internet connection, already using one of MikroTik's LTE antennas and from 3Mbit/s got up to 50Mbit/s, which is truly amazing.

Now I feel it's time for an upgrade and I was looking at products like:
- LHG XL HP5
- LHG XL 52 ac
- SXT SA5 ac

My wet dream would be to rent a cheap place in an area where the optical cable is available and then connect to it from my home and thus get a better internet connection than I have right now.

There are few places available, 5-8km in distance with optical cable of 500 Mbit/s.

So my questions are:
1) is what I'm thinking here even possible, and if so,
2) which hardware I should look into
3) how high the antennas must be placed?

Really excited about my newbie experiments, I apologize in advance if something I said above is stupid and wouldn't work.

Thank you!!

sniper113
just joined

Re: Help a newbie out: How to connect two points with long-distance wireless

Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:10 am

Passing more than 50 mb of what you now have through a Wi-Fi link depends on several factors including distance, noise or interference that exist in your area, as well as the own equipment to send those mb to be able to send more than 50mb at that distance that you mention, it is recommended equipment that has a minimum of 25 dbi power, regarding the height this must be with your own line of sight, that is to say that you can see point B at the distance that you mention, it is unlikely that with the naked eye it will you can see for it help yourself with google earth and make a better planning if there are no tall buildings in your area it is sure that you will have a successful link

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:51 pm

The LHG XL's would work (I have some running a 30km test link, getting a whopping 5Mbps), but you're going to be fighting with a lot of competing WiFi noise, and you'll have a hard time getting more than 200Mbps.

For 5-8km, I use (and/or have used):

Ubiquiti Wave LR (60GHz; 700-900Mbps, PTP mode in beta right now) = US$600/link
Ubiquiti AF60-LR (60GHz; 700-900Mbps both ways) = US$800/link
Ubiquiti AF5XHD (5GHz; with their slant 45 23dB antennas, I'm getting up to 288Mbps on a 6km link) = US$1000+
Ubiquiti AF60XR (60GHz + 5GHz; 1-2Gbps, 2' dishes, pretty large and heavy) = US$2000
Ubiquiti AF24 (24GHz; 770Mbps full duplex, up to 8km; large and heavy) = US$3000

Personally, I think your best bet out of those is the AF60-LR or Wave LR (with beta software). Wave LR has a backup 5GHz 802.11ax radio built in, because 60GHz will fade in heavy rain and some snow. You have to have a clean line of sight, but since the Fresnel zones for 24GHz and 60GHz are much smaller, you're less likely to have to worry about trees and buildings encroaching on the path from the sides or bottom.

luckyjay
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:40 am

@sirbryan @sniper113 guys, you are amazing, thank you for insights, I have now a lot of info to think about.