Community discussions

MikroTik App

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Can I use queues to prioritize bandwith on a particular IP?

Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:07 pm

Hi, I've used it to limit the bandwith on a specific IP or subnet, it works ok, but can I do the opposite? The goal is to assure to IPTV always at least 20 megabit, I would limit them to 20 but also prioritize it, respect other IPs of subnet.
On Advanced tab I see priority 8, is it just necessary to put it at 7? Then create a second queues rule and put there the whole subnet with no limitation but priority 8?
Thank you

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can I use queues to prioritize bandwith on a particular IP?

Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:39 pm

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:57 pm

You should look at this:
viewtopic.php?t=73214&p=371301#p371301
Thank you, I'll read it as soon I have a couple of hours, if I understood ok was I right? Can I simply create a new rule and put it as firse, for a specific IP, without limitations and I check priority 7?
Thaks

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:08 pm

In theory, yes. The "limit-at" is tricky, and yes you need some higher priority set.

But Mikrotik TL;DR version is below, describing the difference between max-limit and limit-at. The term "limit-at" does seem like something do to LOW priority – BUT it's the opposite – limit-at is your "minimum guaranteed bandwidth" so you want to use it on HIGH priority traffic!
For each queue we can define two rate limits:
CIR (Committed Information Rate) – (limit-at in RouterOS) worst-case scenario, the flow will get this amount of traffic rate regardless of other traffic flows. At any given time, the bandwidth should not fall below this committed rate.
MIR (Maximum Information Rate) – (max-limit in RouterOS) best-case scenario, the maximum available data rate for flow, if there is free any part of the bandwidth.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:12 pm

I presume we're talking about /queue/tree, right?
There are two different ways how to configure queues in RouterOS:
/queue simple menu - designed to ease configuration of simple, every day queuing tasks (such as single client upload/download limitation, p2p traffic limitation, etc.).
Simple queues have a strict order - each packet must go through every queue until it reaches one queue which conditions fit packet parameters or until the end of the queues list is reached. For example, In the case of 1000 queues, a packet for the last queue will need to proceed through 999 queues before it will reach the destination.
/queue tree menu - for implementing advanced queuing tasks (such as global prioritization policy, user group limitations). Requires marked packet flows from /ip firewall mangle facility.
The main difference from Simple Queues is that the Queue tree is not ordered - all traffic passes it together.

Mordulec
just joined

Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:08 am

I hope so. There is only one device in my network which shouldn't be choked: TV IP decoder. Is there a simple way ("two cliks" in winbox) to prioritize it over all? Or should I do many steps to always complicated advanced config?

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:04 pm

I hope so. There is only one device in my network which shouldn't be choked: TV IP decoder. Is there a simple way ("two cliks" in winbox) to prioritize it over all? Or should I do many steps to always complicated advanced config?
Get its IP, make it static on DHCP and prioritize it with 7 queues (create one with its IP address). Yes it's about 30 seconds config