MikroTik App

Smoerrebroed
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

PoE auto on between CRS328 and cAP ac

Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:13 pm

Hi All,

today I noticed a strange phenomenon in my home network: Among other devices, I have a CRS328-24P-4S+ as my central switch, providing PoE for all access points. One of those is a RBcAPGi-5acD2nD. This device was connected to port 8 on the CRS328 and was working perfectly with the PoE setting on auto on. As I rearranged a few things in my network cabinet, I moved the cable going to the cAP ac from port 8 to port 7. After that move, I found that the cAP ac didn't power on again. Setting PoE for the port to forced on, it immediately sprang to life.

Do any of you have an idea why PoE auto on works on port 8 and not on port 7? All other settings are exactly identical, and in this case I was even using the exact same wires/cables. Moving to port 1, PoE auto on works as well, so what could be "wrong" with port 7 to make it fail when detecting a PoE device? Any ideas will be appreciated. TIA!

Smoerrebroed
Last edited by Smoerrebroed on Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PoE auto on between CRS328 and cAP ac

Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:51 pm

Watch the LOG as you move that connection.

Then make a rif file for support.

Send it to support describing the issue.

Update this thread as you go.

Smoerrebroed
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:35 am

Done. Thanks for the advice. If anybody has another idea, please let me know.

Smoerrebroed
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:00 pm

First thing that support requested was a netinstall and an additional supout.rif ... :?

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:07 am

First thing that support requested was a netinstall and an additional supout.rif ... :?
Keep us informed.

I am leaning towards using CRS328-24P as my default switch.

Since I can't get ES24-500s anymore.

Smoerrebroed
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:31 am

Verdict after sending in the supout.rif is: Port is defective, need to RMA. At least it's still usable for PoE, just not with auto on.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:39 pm

Let us know the RMA process you have to go through, for a DEFECTIVE DEVICE THAT MIKROTIK IDENTIFIED.

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:57 pm

I had a similar thing with my CRS328-24P... Connected poe device that received power, unplugged, plugged again - no power. I had to power cycle the port:
/interface/ethernet/poe/power-cycle ether7;
After that it worked again, exactly once.

Support suggested to RMA, but the device is still in operation... The AP is just plugged to another port.

Crazy thing is... I think it was port 7 for me as well... 🤪

Smoerrebroed
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:12 pm

Yeah, I had tried that as well - but it didn't help, not even once. Perhaps this is related to some design flaw or "quirk" which somehow affects port 7 more than any other. (I didn't try all 24 of them, but those ten or twelve that I tried actually worked.)

Anyway, following advice from support, I contacted the dealer that I bought it from as it should still be covered under the MikroTik warranty. Today the dealer informed me that they cannot repair/exchange it so they will refund me. (They do no longer carry MikroTik it seems.) However, meanwhile the price has gone up by almost 200 Euros, so even if I get a refund, I still need to top it up out of my own pocket in order to be able to afford a new device. That sucks. :-/

Smoerrebroed
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:07 am

Short and final update: MikroTik only covers 12 months of warranty - the switch is approx. 18 months old, so I am entirely at the mercy of the dealer mentioned above. As they don't carry MikroTik anymore, they refuse to exchange/repair the switch, so I'll have to bite the bullet, collect my money from them, and pay out of my own pocket to get a replacement (which should be a similar cost compared to what MikroTik would need to actually repair it).

One thing is for sure: When I get the new switch, I'll test out every single port to make sure it works with PoE set to auto on.