Community discussions

MikroTik App

jordipalet
Topic Author

IPv6 support for SwOS

Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:07 am

I tried to find how to configure SwOS with IPv6 for management and can't find it.

It doesn't make any sense to have in 2021 a switch that can't be managed by IPv6 (dual-stack and IPv6-only).

I'm missing something or it is a severe reason to forget about using Mikrotik at all as switches?

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: IPv6 support for SwOS

Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:23 am

RouterOS is only just now getting good IPv6 support, so it's going to be a while before you can do that with SwOS.

jordipalet
Topic Author

Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:25 pm

Well I knew that they don't support any IPv6-only with IPv4aaS transition mechanisms (RFC8585), specially a simple CLAT (so 464XLAT) will solve the problem for 99% of the ISPs/users ... but something like just a management support ... shameful!

Even stateful NAT64 in the bigger devices will be nice ...

PortalNET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:31 am

I guys

i know this is an old thread.. but

i have a similar issue..

we have 2 CCR devices connected on a static route.. Point A to Point B in Ipv4 working great.. inside a VLAN and this CCRs connect to switchOS CRS305 and 317 due to use of SFP+10g ports..

now i am trying to setup a IPv6 PTP from point a to point B.. i have followed all the setup configuration correclty with ::1/126 IP on side A, and ::2/126 IP on side B.. when i enable the interface via the same VLAN from IPv4. the IPs on the other end are reachable.. i have setup the default gateway route on side B with IP from side A...

but i cannot ping any of the devives on ipv6.. allways timeout.. does SwitchOS mode accepts forward packets in IPv6? or do we have the same issue as in OSFP not workign in switchOS to connect router1 with router2 ?

Edit: by simply placing a ethernet cable directly on 2 router os devices and setting up the same ipv6 configuration i can ping both devices in ipv6... so i am just wondering if switchOS version 2.13 really accepts ipv6 packets or not.