Community discussions

MikroTik App

pantronix
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik RB750UPr2 hEX PoE lite router - USB WIFI dongle and OpenVPN Client without username and password

Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:57 pm

Hi all,

I got a MikroTik RB750UPr2 hEX PoE lite router and I was wondering if possible to connect a USB WIFI dongle to the router and use the dongle to access my home WIFI network?
So, I'd like to use that router as a receiver because there's no option to run a cable in my house.

I see tons of peripherals that are supported by RouterOS, but those are only LTE modems. So, could someone advise how can I achieve what I described above?

Also, another question is, is there any trick to set up an OpenVPN Client connection on the router without Username and password?
I got another router (TP-Link AX1800 which won't allow me to create a username, only .ovpn file that includes the certs) at another place that I normally reach with my laptop using the OpenVPN client, but if possible I'd like to route specific IPs (my laptop IP only) through the OpenVPN tunnel

In a meantime, I managed to use OpenVPN client on RouterOS with a username of "OpenVPN" and no password, but there's a scenario:

I have two LAN networks:
192.168.88.0/24 - Devices within this subnet route their traffic through the WAN interface
192.168.90.0/24 - Devices within this subnet route their traffic through OpenVPN client connection

OpenVPN client connection established (the interface lost the connection quite frequently, but just ignore this for a time being as I read this could be a problem with ROS).

So, is someone could advise how can I set up the correct routing to achieve this scenario?

Thanks a lot, looking forward to your answer.

Edit: RouterOS v7.7