Community discussions

MikroTik App

HomerTheGreat
just joined
Topic Author

Absolute newbie, pls help if possible!

Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:33 pm

Hi all,
We have a 4g antenna and some sort of router installed externally (up on our roof) with an ethernet cable coming into the house and connecting to out Mesh router.
The whole thing worked pretty well initially but gradually started to become temperamental and unreliable. If I re-boot the system, it works for a while but gradually slows down and stops.
The company that did the install vanished a couple of months after installing so I have no idea how optimise it other than re-booting it and switching bands.
Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 11.27.34.png
I have to continually switch bands on it between 3 and 7 (see pic) to get a decent signal and usually have to re-boot every day to keep the connection decent.
If I leave both the checkboxes ticked (3 & 7) will the software switch between them automatically?
Is there some way to make the software re-boot at say, 3am every morning?

Im sorry for these questions but Im trying to learn about this so I can keep this thing working!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Absolute newbie, pls help if possible!

Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:10 pm

Hit the "up arrow" to remove any bands – that means all band (e.g. "no band locking"). The modem will generally do the right thing with the band. It possible selecting one or another may be optimal for a time, but carrier/tower/technology change...

Do you know what versions of the software you're using? It be in System on left, then Packages with show the version of RouterOS. You should also check under System > RouterBoard and look at the "current fireware" version show. If you share those, that help in knowing if you should upgrade versions.

HomerTheGreat
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:12 am

Thanks. The current firmware is 6.44.4. It says that there is a newer one - 6.46.6 should I try and upgrade to that?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:50 am

Well, I'd see if the removing the band selection (e.g. setting all bands) keeps it stable FIRST. Locking bands isn't a bad idea, but does require more work to look at signal levels and speed to figure out what be best. Not setting any bands (e.g. the "up arrow" to remove the band customization setting does this) to solve the immediate need to tick/untick them manually all the time.

There have been security patches and many LTE fixes since then. So worth doing! I'd go to "long-term" in System > Packages. And make sure to update the firmware in System >RouterBoard AFTER you upgrade the main Package (which takes a 2nd reboot). Then you can check the LTE firmware to see if that has any updates in Interfaces > LTE (it may or may not). So it's really three things to upgrade to do it right.

Do a "export file=before-upgrade.rsc" and Files > Backup & save those to your desktop BEFORE upgrading. You can try band locking again after you upgrade.

I'm personally not a fan of setting the LTE bands to use myself – these LTE modem to do try to make good decision on those things & it's something that can break (as you can see).

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:52 am

Thanks. The current firmware is 6.44.4. It says that there is a newer one - 6.46.6 should I try and upgrade to that?
Maybe typo. But It should say "6.48.6" for latest long-term...

HomerTheGreat
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:49 pm

Ok, I removed the ticks and let the software choose. Speed test gave 4mb.
I ticked band 3 and did the speed test, result 4mb.

Switched the band to no7 and re-did the speed test which now gave 32mb.
Switched off all the ticks to let the software choose and got 4mb again.

Looks like the slower band is being chosen for some reason!