Community discussions

MikroTik App

rnhturner
just joined
Topic Author

Need help figuring out Pass through WAN on 2 switches

Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:52 am

Before I mention my issue, here is my basic setup.
  • I use a Peplink Router with multiple WANs
  • I have two CRS328-24P-4S+ switches
  • 1 1000ft Fiber connecting the two switches

1 CRS328-24P-4S+ is in my converted cargo trailer and the other is usually in a press box at a high school football field. It changes each week.

With the peplink router I have 2 Celluar WAN's, 2 Wifi WANs, 2 Ethernet WANs. I use their special service to bond them together to get better upload speeds as I livestream football games.

Here is my need:

Most times the only ethernet I get is from the celluar hotspots going into the peplink. BUT sometimes, in the press box of the stadium, I can get wired ethernet. The problem is my peplink is in the trailer. The current way I have to do this is bring the peplink up to the press box and then go from there.

What I want to do is the following:
  • Plug Press Box Ethernet into port 24 of my press box switch
  • Pass that ethernet source plus all the other items connected to switch one over the SFP+ #1 to SFP+ port 1 on my trailer switch.
  • From Port 24 on the trailer switch, I want to send to the WAN port on my Peplink router
  • Let my peplink router do it's normal thing and bond with my cellular and through it's LAN port go back into the trailer switch port 23.
I understand that the way to do this is through VLANS, but I am at a loss as to how to do this. VLANs never seem to work right for me, as I don't quite get the right setups.

What I tried to do was:
  • Set a VLAN (VLAN60) up on the peplink and then I tried to set the VLAN tab to set port 24 on both switches to enabled and then the pressbox switch port 24 "VLAN Receive" to ANY (since it would be receiving from pressbox internet source and not a VLAN) and then the Trailer VLAN Receive to "only tagged". Both switches' "Default VLAN ID's" are set to 60.
  • I then have both SFP+'s (#1 on both) mentioned above to optional, any and the default was already set to 1.
  • I then have the the out of trailer switch port 24 plugged into Peplink router WAN with a LAN coming back into trailer switch port 23 This port and all other ports on both switches are set to optional, only untagged and 1. I dd not force any VLAN ID's on anything on either switch.
This doesn't work, and I can't figure out why.

Again, this is nowhere near my strong suite, so I maybe way wrong with everything. Please help!

Thanks,
Richard

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Need help figuring out Pass through WAN on 2 switches

Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:18 am

First of all, just making sure you are running the CRS326 in SwitchOS as opposed to RouterOS. Your description sounds if that is the case, but you know what happens when you assume! Also just to make sure I understand what you are doing, you are using the SFP ports for your 1000 feet of glass. In this situation, it will be carrying the press box Internet down to the trailer where it will then be handed off to one of the WAN ports on the Peplink. Then the LAN side of the Peplink will also use the SFP ports to get "internet" up to the pressbox. everything below assumes as I speculated.

You must have a fancier PepLink then the one I used here at work years ago - it did not know anything about VLANS. And you don't need it to. I would leave the Peplink Ethernet port as just plain dumb untagged Ethernet. Let the switches deal with the VLANs It sounds like you missed the settings on the VLANs tab. You need to define your VLANs there and assign each needed port to each VLAN. So here is the way I would set that up.
Fiber link will exclusively be used as a VLAN trunk. The switches will do all the dealing with the VLANs. Except for the SFP ports, everything else will be dumb untagged Ethernet. Therefore, on the VLAN tab, for the SFP port, set both ends to strict / only tagged / and some dummy number for the Default VLAN number (it won't be used anyway). I use high 900 numbers for the dummy VLANs on tagged only trunk ports.
On the VLANs tab on both ends define two VLANs - you selected 60 for the press box network, and let's use 50 for LAN side of the Peplink. Set both of those VLANs checked on the SFP-1 port.
On the CRS326 in the press box, set port 24 (the press box internet connection) to Strict / only untagged / default VLAN ID to 60. On the VLANs tab, check the box for port 24 on VLAN 60. Plug the Press box internet into the CRS326 port 24.
On the CRS326 in the trailer, set port 24 (the press box internet connection to the Peplink) to Strict / only untagged / default VLAN ID to 60. On the VLANs tab, check the box for port 24 on VLAN 60. Plug the Peplink WAN port into port 24 on the CRS326.
The above gets the press box internet to a WAN port on the Peplink. For the LAN side of the Peplink:
On the CRS326 in the trailer, set port 23 (the combined internet connection from the LAN port of the Peplink) to Strict / only untagged / default VLAN ID to 50. On the VLANs tab, check the box for port 23 on VLAN 50. Plug the Peplink LAN port into port 23 on the CRS326.
On the CRS326 in the Press box, set port 23 (the combined internet to your streaming gear) to Strict / only untagged / default VLAN ID to 50. On the VLANs tab, check the box for port 23 on VLAN 50. Plug the streaming equipment into port 23 on the CRS326.

Notes: I strongly recommend against using VLAN 1. Too many devices that treat VLAN 1 as "special".
If you need additional VLANs, set them up similarly. For example maybe a management VLAN so if you need to remotely look at status of the other end, you can do so.
If you need more than one port in the press box for the streaming gear, assign additional ports on VLAN 50 that are set the same as port 23.

Does all this make sense? Do you need any other details? I make extensive use of SwitchOS with trunk ports between switches, so this is very routine for me.