Community discussions

MikroTik App

netzwerghh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Process "routing policy configuration" high cpu

Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:29 pm

We are running some full tables on our CCR2216 with RouterOS 7.7 stable. If you open the route list in winbox sometimes the process "routing policy configuration" goes up to 100% cpu usage and stays there. We let it do so for more than a day but it didn't come back to normal.
You can see this with /routing/stats/process/print and see the process time.
As it's not doable to restart the router to bring it back to normal after you accidentially opened the route list, we tried to just kill the process and let it restart with /routing/stats/process/kill. After that the process automatically restarts and router works again as normal.

BUT: Now all static routes have two entries in the routing table. And if you have to kill the process a second time. There are three entries for every route.
[admin@DCHAM-RTR01] /ip/route> print detail where static
Flags: D - dynamic; X - disabled, I - inactive, A - active; c - connect, s - static, r - rip, b - bgp, o - ospf, d - dhcp, v - vpn, m - modem, y - copy; H - hw-offloaded; + - ecmp 
 0  As + dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 routing-table=main pref-src="" gateway=185.41.104.65 immediate-gw=185.41.104.65%sfp28-1 distance=100 scope=30 target-scope=10 suppress-hw-offload=no 

0  As + dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 routing-table=main pref-src="" gateway=185.41.104.65 immediate-gw=185.41.104.65%sfp28-1 distance=100 scope=30 target-scope=10 suppress-hw-offload=no 

So. I understand that you should not just kill a routing process. But the routing process should also not go crazy just because you open routes in Winbox.

1. Why does the process "routing policy configuration" go crazy when I open routes in Winbox?
2. Why does the static routes get added mutiple times when I restart the process?

Cheers
Dennis

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Process "routing policy configuration" high cpu

Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:29 pm

When you have (multiple) full routing tables it is not a good idea to open the route list in winbox...
When you need to see the properties of a certain route, use commandline with the proper "where" clause.
When you need to do that often and want a more efficient method, write a program on an external server that uses API to retrieve the info and display it e.g. on an intranet web page.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:34 pm

pe1chl, thats a piss poor answer!

This is clearly two bugs and needs to be reported to MT.
a. winbox should cause no such issues.
b. duplicate routes should not be created regardless........

netwzwerghh, are you familiar with supout???
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Supout.rif

netzwerghh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:01 pm

I know that it is a bad idea to open the route list in winbox on a full table router. But one of my colleagues did not know when he wanted to change a static route. Also it might happen accidentially that you open the route list. If you do so. The routing process should clearly not go crazy.
Last edited by netzwerghh on Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

netzwerghh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:04 pm

anav, thanks. Yes I know how to file a support request. Will do this the next time someone triggers this on one of our routers. I'm not very keane in triggering this behaviour on our production routers now ;-)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:57 pm

I have commented before that I think that winbox should offload "filter" actions to the router. As it is now, it will retrieve the full data of the window that you open, and filtering like "Static = yes" will be applied locally in Winbox. So when you have 10 static and 1000000 dynamic routes, it will still retrieve all of them and show only 10.
Of course, it should send the query with "static=true" a filter to the router, and it will return only 10 routes and there is no problem.
But alas, that is a feature request, it does not work that way (yet). But in commandline it does.
For now, you can use a skin to remove the IP route list from winbox (assuming you are running v7).