Community discussions

MikroTik App

bravotallen
just joined
Topic Author

Discovery not finishing

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:38 pm

I have a problem and a question with The Dude Beta 8.
I have a submap that is not finishing. I will run the discovery tool and it will search for about half an hour then it will be finishing until I stop the service. I started the discovery tool on Friday before I left work, then I came back on Monday and it was still finishing. I went to the system services and stopped the agent, started the discovery tool again and it still has not finished. I have done other networks fine, this is the only network that is giving me this problem.

I also wanted to know, could you combine ports to test? I have a large submap so, I thought about breaking it down to smaller submaps. For instance, put a department into a submap and have their collective bandwidth be on the on the local page. I do not know if this could be done, the only thing I could find was to poll one port but, I thought it was worth asking.

Thanks in advance,
Bradley

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Discovery not finishing

Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:48 pm

how many hops did you set, and what other options were set? experiment with the discovery settings.

bravotallen
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:41 pm

So far, i have only used 0 hops because I did not know what they were. I have had successful discoveries on other submaps using 0 hops but it comes to this one, it will not finish. I started a discovery with 2 hops so, we'll see what happens.

bravotallen
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Well, it still did not finish so, I went ahead and made the links manually. Oh well. Any ideas with the second part of the questions?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:20 am

I am not sure what you mean by your second question. Isn't all the traffic to one department going off of one router link?

What I did on the top page was made a dash with every router... We have about 40 routers.
From there I made sub maps that has just the router and switches serving about 35 sites.

Since the dash has only routers on it I can see the bandwidth to every site.

Are your departments on seperate vlans? You can select vlans instead of ports...

I am finding making my maps to be really fun. One thing I saw you could do is from the settings for a map you can export an image every so often. If you publish them to a web site you could easily allow anyone to see the maps. It is an impressive piece of software but it doesn't have enough exposure IMHO.

saffaseraj
just joined

Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:54 pm

I will share what I thought had resolved my problem first. And then go through a general troubleshooting process.
WHAT RESOLVED MY PROBLEM:

I realized my problem was because I had more than one "RouterOS" device - despite the Dude being disabled on the other one. So, while adding a "Discovery," I defined the "Agent" (the actual RouterOS). Choosing the "Default" agent was causing the process to remain at "Finishing 100%" for a long time and sometimes never finished.

GENERAL TROUBLESHOOTING:
There are several reasons why The Dude discovery process may remain in a "finishing" status at 100% progress and not complete. Here are a few possible causes and solutions:
  1. Large network: If you are scanning a large network, it may take a long time for The Dude to complete the discovery process. In this case, you may need to increase the timeout value or split the network into smaller segments.
  2. Network connectivity issues: If there are connectivity issues on your network, such as intermittent packet loss or high latency, The Dude may have difficulty discovering devices. Check your network for any issues and resolve them if possible.
  3. Resource limitations: If The Dude is running on a machine with limited resources, such as CPU, RAM, or disk space, it may struggle to complete the discovery process. Check the resource usage on the machine and consider upgrading if necessary.
  4. Unsupported devices/Service Probes: The Dude may have difficulty discovering devices that are not supported, such as devices with non-standard SNMP implementations or custom protocols. Make sure that your devices are compatible with The Dude's discovery process.
  5. Firewall settings: If there are firewall settings that block The Dude's discovery process, it may not be able to complete. Make sure that your firewall is configured to allow The Dude's discovery process to pass through.
ADDITIONAL TROUBLESHOOTING:
If the previous solutions did not resolve the issue, here are a few additional troubleshooting steps you can try:
  • Check the Dude logs: The Dude logs can provide valuable information about any issues or errors that may be preventing the discovery process from completing. You can access the logs by going to
    "File" > "Settings" > "Logs"
    in The Dude client.
  • Verify the SNMP settings: The Dude uses SNMP to discover and monitor devices on the network. Ensure that your devices are configured to respond to SNMP requests and that the SNMP community string is correctly configured in The Dude.
  • Check for network loops: Network loops can cause discovery processes to hang or time out. Ensure your network is configured correctly to avoid loops and other common network issues.
  • Test the SNMP connection: You can test the SNMP connection to a device by using the "Tools" > "SNMP Walk" feature in The Dude. This will allow you to verify that the device is responding to SNMP requests and that The Dude can retrieve information from the device.
  • Check for duplicate IP addresses: Duplicate IP addresses on the network can cause The Dude to hang or time out during the discovery process. Make sure that all devices on the network have unique IP addresses.

If none of these solutions fix the issue, it may be helpful to contact MikroTik support for more help.

RyperX
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:30 pm

Thanks for you suggestion, still i have no glue whats going wrong with my discovery.

I have an Home Use setup with about 60 devices with mostly normal clients (smartphones, computers, notebooks, smart home devices) and the dude server is installed on a 5009.
I have some networks and vlans installed but for testing i only enabled the discovery on a single network and set the range to 10 IP addresses and still the discovery does not finish.

How i can debug this?

Edit:
I created a complete new config,when i scan all my networks everything finish really fast.
So i need to know whats going on in my current config.