Community discussions

MikroTik App

TheLorc
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Has anyone here had issues with Mikrotik and wireguard not working on Windows 11 PCs?

Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a Mikrotik RB2011 as the main router in our office.

I set up Wireguard to work on this router and so far had about 10 laptops with wireguard on them, connected succesfully to our Synology NAS when not connected to the LAN (I.e. abroad, or working from home)

The way I do this is set up wireguard in Mikrotik, install Wireguard on the external laptop, and type \\192.168.XX.XX (server IP) into the File Explorer address bar. So far it has worked on all devices, I can connect to the server and see the files and use it as if i am connected in the LAN.

However it does not seem to be working on two new Windows 11 laptops. I am getting the following error:

'\\192.168.XX.XX is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The remote procedure call failed.'

Have any of you seen this error appear before? It is strange because Windows 10 laptops all work (and still work) flawlessly.

Thank you

EDIT: It is important to note that I can ping the server in command prompt. But I can't access it with File explorer. Thanks

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Has anyone here had issues with Mikrotik and wireguard not working on Windows 11 PCs?

Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:13 pm

Yes.
Windows 11 and windows PCs in general suffer from some issues.

1. Check windows firewall
2. Check third party firewalls you added
3. Check its not a public connection and thus blocked ( private (trusted) vs public internet connections )

If you wish wg assistance, I dont speculate need evidence LOL
/export file=anynameyouwish ( minus router serial number and any public WANIP info, keys etc.)

also network diagram to help with context, and which device is client/server for initial connection.

TheLorc
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Has anyone here had issues with Mikrotik and wireguard not working on Windows 11 PCs?

Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:10 pm

Yes.
Windows 11 and windows PCs in general suffer from some issues.

1. Check windows firewall
2. Check third party firewalls you added
3. Check its not a public connection and thus blocked ( private (trusted) vs public internet connections )

If you wish wg assistance, I dont speculate need evidence LOL
/export file=anynameyouwish ( minus router serial number and any public WANIP info, keys etc.)

also network diagram to help with context, and which device is client/server for initial connection.
Hi Anav,

Hope you are well

I have given up and installed Windows 10 on the new laptop so for now its fixed lol

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:37 pm

I haven't had a single problem in either win 10 or 11 PCs using wireguard.
Small detail, that's was always using Pro version. Are you using Home ? There are some, sometimes nasty, differences in how it handles network connections.