Community discussions

MikroTik App

liviu2004
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fiber selection

Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:17 am

I know not much when it comes to fiber connections.

RB5009 to CSS610, if I want to setup 10G fiber cable, distance from living room to man’s cave, about 10m, which modules do I need to buy? Preferable mikrotik. And cable, is that doubled? Multimode, single mode? Can be bought at lenght, ready made? Is it for S+85DLC03D I need to look? Thanks a million.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Fiber selection

Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:31 am

Mentioned SFP+ modules should do the trick.

When it comes to fibre stretch between "civilization and cave", in principle there are two kinds of optical cables: single-mode (SM) and multi-mode (MM). Mentioned SFP+ module works with MM (multi-mode) fibre, so that's the type you need to get. Next thing to be wary about is connector type. There are various types, some of them look very alike. And fibre cable can have different connector types on different ends if that's necessary. In case when using mentioned modules, connectors have to be "LC" type.

If you're looking for other SFP+ types, here's my suggestion: if you're after MM cable, get modules that work with wavelength of 850nm, it's the most standard one. And get module which requires two fibre strands (one for each direction). If you're after SM cable (slightly more expensive solution, but much more future proof as it seems currently), then get modules that work with wavelengths of 1310nm, again the most standard one. If you match fibre mode and wavelength, then it should be possible to use SFP+ modules of different vendors on each end.
Regarding single-strand fibre connections: modules are then called BiDi (for BiDirectional). These are not as standard as the two-strand ones, plus they tend to cost more. They are very useful when one has to lease fibre and price is per strand or if existing fibre cable doesn't have any more free strands. If one installs new fibre, then the cable price difference is (almost) negligible and it's better to use normal two-strand cables/modules.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Fiber selection

Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:32 am

I've had very good experience with FS.com modules and cabling, so I would recommend that. I've standardized on OS2 SMF for everything, but in a home environment, you could naturally do MMF OM4. OS2 is just better, so I don't see the need to really use anything else unless you're supporting existing infrastructure.

For only 10m, a cost effective solution would then be two of these 10GB SFP+ 1310nm duplex modules. Then use an OS2 duplex cable in standard or armored jacket. You don't need BiDi (A & B) because it would just increase your costs (for short runs) without any gains. But if you want to have it anyway, doesn't hurt, smaller cabling.