Community discussions

MikroTik App

nmbgeek
just joined
Topic Author

Wireguard Stopped After Upgrade

Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:46 pm

I went to update a RB3011 this morning running 7.5 to 7.7 so I created a backup and completed the upgrade. I don't think I changed anything else. Prior to the upgrade my Wireguard connections were working great. The setup is 4 offices that are all interconnected with Wireguard and by that I mean each office has a connection back to each office. This office and one other have an RB3011 and the other 2 are Ubiquiti. I also have a config for my PC to allow remoting in to each of the offices. The other 3 offices are still connected and working as expected however the upgraded router stopped passing any Wireguard traffic. I can still see packets in the Firewall view on the accept input rule for the Wireguard port so traffic is getting to the router however the Wireguard interface is showing no activity. I tried some other allow rules from other threads even though these are not present in the other office with the RB3011 (RouterOS v7.1).

For troubleshooting I have downgraded back to 7.5, restored backup I created, restored another backup from 12/2022 when everything was working, and still no luck. I created an export of the current config and redacted public IPs and keys. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. This has also been posted to the Mikrotik Reddit.

https://pastebin.com/6twbhkpG

panika
just joined

Re: Wireguard Stopped After Upgrade

Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:59 pm

Hello, a similar thing just happened to me.
I have two 7.7 CHR on ESXI as site-to-site VPN. Going great for at least a month. Suddenly one end stopped sending packets to the other (I found out using nmap, vps on the internet, and counting rule in the firewall on both routers). Other direction worked fine (at least fw was counting). I tried cycling both WG interfaces and peers.
In WG counters (using keepalive) there were just tx packets. There were no configuration changes on both side for at least 12 hours. The tunnel is in constant usage.
I did upgrade to 7.8 on both sides and running fine now. I couldn't tell whether restarting could fix that since colleagues were getting ...intensive :)
We are using WG company-wide since Christmas and there was not a single issue yet.

orionren
just joined

Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:23 pm

I have the same problem, using mikrotik v7.7 suddenly wireguard doesnt work anymore, i tried also upgrade to the latest v7.12.1 it works but then stop working also. it was working when it was 7.1 - 7.5. i even tried re-create wireguard settings and configuration but client cant still connect.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:13 pm

Without seeing your config, its merely an opinion based on no evidence!!

/export file=anynameyouwish ( minus router serial number, public WANIP information, keys etc.... )