Community discussions

MikroTik App

nicsimi
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless on APU4D4 with x86 license

Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:02 am

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner in Mikrotik world and I want to re-purpose an existing APU4D4 board with a Compex WLE900VX (QCA9980) wifi board. I would like to buy a L4 x86 license in order to can use it wired&wireless.

Before proceeding with purchase, I've tried the 24h x86 7.8 RouterOS license which works OK except for Wifi part, where I can scan and see nearby Access Points ("station" mode), but I cannot connect to them.
In the same time, if I switch to "ap bridge" mode to rise an Access Point, the AP is not rising/visible for clients, it looks like it is going to "disabled" state (after scanning for frequencies/detecting radar (5GHz) sequences). I've tried different regions, frequencies, bandwith (increased from 20MHz gradually), without success.

Wireless card is detected by Bios&RouterOS, and with an OpenWRT OS I can rise an Access Point or connect as wireless client without any issues.

I want to ask if this is a limitation of this demo/trial license, or is a limitation of the hardware combination itself?

Many thanks for your support!
Nic

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Wireless on APU4D4 with x86 license

Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:53 pm

During 24h you should have full set of features and there should be no limits on what you can do. If the wifi doesn't work, it will likely not work when you buy the license key.
Hard to say where problem might be, QCA9980 should work. Maybe try 6.49.7 just to check. You can try decrypting the supout.rif if there might be any clues on what's happening, but in general hardware troubleshooting on ROS is horrible. Booting OpenWRT to check if hardware works correctly is another option...

nicsimi
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:47 pm

Thanks for inputs!

I've tried OpenWRT and wifi is working reliable (I can rise an Acces Point and I can connect as wifi client to a different AP.

I've tried to install routeros x86 6.49.7, but it looks like it has no drivers for hdd controller, installer stops with error:

"Loading drivers
Looking for harddrives.......................
FATAL ERROR: no harddrives found
Press ENTER to reboot"

I'll have a look in supout.rif.

nicsimi
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:16 pm

I've managed to enable Wifi on this qca9980 with routeros x86 ver.7.5 (I've tried without success few routeros versions: 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.8 and 7.8rc3).
When I'll have time I'll compare settings between 7.5 and 7.8 for example.