MikroTik App

j2sw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

BGP syncronization questions

Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:33 pm

I have a design question.
This network has a single /24 of IPV4 space. Let's pretend 10.10.10.0/24 is routable IP space for the sake of this discussion. I have attached a crude diagram of the setup.

My questions are.

1.I don't want to blindly (no BGP synchronization) advertise the block out the upstream.
2.How do I synchronize this if the transport link goes down, the /25 goes away, and the route is no longer advertised? How does aggreation in mikrotik work? If the BGP speaker sees the /25 in the routing table will that work with synchronization? If so, how?

My other alternative is to run a tunnel between DC 1 and DC 2 and run BGP across the tunnel as well.

My issue can be solved with having a /24 at the DC for servers and a /24 for the client side. This seems wasteful though.

How are others solving this type of an issue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wiseroute

Re: BGP syncronization questions

Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:42 pm

hello

ok. let's do the basics first.

1. Internet bgp or public space ebgp is not some routing protocol to play around with. once you made internet peering, be it inside a shared data center or on your own premises, you and your ebgp routers are responsible for any route advertisement and internet traffic.

so, better to lab your setup first.

2. normally (please, no offense intended) there is no need to do ebgp peering if,
- your own network are not ready for raw internet traffic.
- you are on leaf network, with small block to advertise. being /24 is the smallest accepted by internet peers (cidr. aggregate).

2. /25 unlikely nor will not be accepted by your peers, because they probably already have your aggregate route from your upstream advertisement. so, your choice.

i would suggest it is better to do basic static route to your upstream, and let them do the bgp magic.

in case you are inside a shared data center (ix) and want to do some peering, just make sure you and your router ready for complex filters etc.

My other alternative is to run a tunnel between DC 1 and DC 2 and run BGP across the tunnel as well.
that is a common method to interconnect sites. but again, just make sure you have your resources ready.

ok. just a thought 💭

good luck 👍🏻

j2sw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:12 pm

Totally missed the boat on this.

Never said it was ebgp
Never said it was in production
Never said it was on an IX.
None of those are the case.

wiseroute

Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:56 pm

hello.
Never said it was ebgp
Never said it was in production
Never said it was on an IX.
None of those are the case.
ok. i thought you were asking about bgp synchronization in the title? was assuming this was ipv4 ebgp routing scheme.
have a design question.
This network has a single /24 of IPV4 space. Let's pretend 10.10.10.0/24 is routable IP space for the sake of this discussion.
any ip is routable as ip is routed passenger protocols.
1.I don't want to blindly (no BGP synchronization) advertise the block out the upstream.
2.How do I synchronize this if the transport link goes down, the /25 goes away, and the route is no longer advertised? How does aggreation in mikrotik work? If the BGP speaker sees the /25 in the routing table will that work with synchronization? If so, how?

My issue can be solved with having a /24 at the DC for servers and a /24 for the client side. This seems wasteful though.
ok. good luck 👍🏻