Community discussions

MikroTik App

lfelicetti
just joined
Topic Author

Information about CRS310-1G-5S-4S+

Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:41 pm

HI to all,

I bought this switch for performance and read about SwitchOS dual-boot capability, but with a big surprise, there is no SwitchOS released for this product. Ok, it's not really important to have switchos, but I have a question about performance with routeros:

Assuming that the switch has all the 10Gbit SFP+ and 1Gbit SFP modules mounted and all the ports are connected at maximum speed.

In a standard configuration with all ports in a bridge with hardware offload enabled (startup configuration), what kind of performance should I expect?

What if I add some VLAN configuration (PVID, TAG, UNTAG)?

Thanks in advance,
Leonardo

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Information about CRS310-1G-5S-4S+

Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:13 am

When running ROS on this device, if bridge configuration subtree is done correctly, should perform as good as if there was SwOS available for it, i.e. wirespeed. Default config (all ports bridged, no VLANs) is an example of such "wirespeed config". If you add VLANs in the "single bridge with vlan-filtering enabled" manner, this will also be offloaded to HW and thus wirespeed. Comment: some users still try to configure VLANs in a pre-6.41 manner which required multiple bridges, one bridge per VLAN. Note: only one bridge can be offloaded to hardware. If you want to "partition" switch into two separated parts, there are other ways of doing that which still allow for HW offload. So whatever you do, just keep using single bridge.

For some CRS3xx models there are reports about poor handling of traffic when there's speed step-down ... e.g. if sfp-sfpplus2 had 10Gbps link and sfp-sfpplus3 had 1Gbps link, then throughput in direction 2->3 would be much lower than 1Gbps. Some users have success with enabling flow control, some report the reverse. So you'll have to experiment a bit.

lfelicetti
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:41 pm

Thanks a lot.

I Just Need this for ACt like a normal switch. Just some VLAN on It.

I'm courious about how do you perform a bridge separation mantaining wirespeed, and for what kind of scenario this Is really needed. I'm thinking about tla sample scenario, that really require a partition of a switch: "use same vlan id for a Two separate phisycal network".

I'm right?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:13 pm

The idea is simple and only works either a) if all LANs which use same switch but need to be separated on L2 are untagged or b) if LANs include trunk ports, those VLANs are distinct.

For case a) one configures part of ports with one PVID and the other ports with another PVID ... only ports with same PVID will be able to communicate with each other.
Case b) is pretty clear ... it's similar to case a), but some ports are trunk.

Since VLAN handling can be wirespeed, also "partition" with (ab)use of VLANs works wirespeed.

The case you explained is most probably not possible with MT switch. With exception: if all ports belonging to both switch partitions are trunk ports (with same VLAN membership ... inside a partition). It might be possible to do it using QinQ feature or by stacking S tags. I'd have to experiment a bit to see if I could make this idea happen though.
Probably there are some true forum gurus which already tried something like this.