Community discussions

MikroTik App

m1m1
Topic Author

RB532A in client mode

Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:39 am

Hello

I have RB532A with R52 card.
I dont know how to set it to use it as Client - To conect on wireless network and forward internet on ethernet ports. Can this be done as "bridge" so each client ( 3 ports ) that plug PC in eth port get IP provided by AP-s DHCP instead of mikrotik dhcp. AP is Huawei.
Thanx in advance

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB532A in client mode

Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:56 am

Wireless mode "bridge" only works, if AP is mikrotik as well.

There are some less favourable alternatives but might not work as intended. Read about them in this article: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:W ... tion_Modes

Reading the document one would assume that "station-pseudobridge-clone" is flawless. In practice it might not be. The first thing is DHCP server which might not be happy to assign multiple IP addresses to clients which appear to use same MAC address. Then there's problem with broadcasts and multicasts. Or with any protocol other than IPv4 or IPv6. But in certain conditions it works just fine, so you'll have to try if it fits your particular use case.

m1m1
Topic Author

Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:29 pm

OK is it possible then for only one client to get address from Huawei AP? I will use 1 client anyway pluged on cable.
I read wiki but it is somehow confusing. Can you explain in few words? Thanx in advance

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:06 pm

Some DHCP servers can assign multiple IP addresses to single MAC address. I've no idea whether Huavei DHCP server is one of those.

If MT device is configured as station-pseudobridge, then it'll use own MAC address for all packets going out through wifi interface. Which means that AP and all devices beyond will only see that single MAC address. As mentioned some (or rather: most) DHCP servers might have problems with that. Otherwise this is not a big problem.
If your DHCP server does have problems with this, then only a single device on "client side" will be able to get DHCP lease. Normally that's wireless client (RB532A) if it has DHCP client running. If you want that wired device receives IP address from DHCP server, then you have to disable DHCP client on RB532A and set its IP address manually. This way the one lease available will wait for DHCP request from the wired side of RB532A. You can have multiple devices on the wired side of RB532A, but all but one have to have IP settings set manually.