Community discussions

MikroTik App

Vatsu
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik Hex RB750 DHCP Client Stuck on Searching

Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:50 pm

Hi, I just bought my first Mikrotik RouterBoard and I am new to mikrotik RouterOS. I have seen some videos where they just use DHCP client to setup the router which seems easy. But I have been trying to it for hours for some reason the DHCP client is stuck on searching like forever. I tried to restart my ONT multiple times and my PC is working just fine with DHCP but mikrotik is not getting assigned an IP. I dont know whats the issue is it a hardware issue or software. I have NetLink ONT Fiber. Please guys need some help :0

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik Hex RB750 DHCP Client Stuck on Searching

Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:02 pm

I think from your description that you are trying to set up the WAN port of the router as a DHCP client (the default condition for port 1). That is fine IF your ISP is expecting you to just be a simple DHCP client. They may also use any one of several other configurations for the connection from the ISP to your router. PPPOE is a common one, but NOT the only.

You need to find out from your ISP how THEY want that connection set up on your end. You need to make the router match what your ISP dictates. For the most part, you have no control on how they want it - you just need to match the setup they dictate.

Vatsu
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:46 am

I think from your description that you are trying to set up the WAN port of the router as a DHCP client (the default condition for port 1). That is fine IF your ISP is expecting you to just be a simple DHCP client. They may also use any one of several other configurations for the connection from the ISP to your router. PPPOE is a common one, but NOT the only.

You need to find out from your ISP how THEY want that connection set up on your end. You need to make the router match what your ISP dictates. For the most part, you have no control on how they want it - you just need to match the setup they dictate.
My ISP gave me a PPPoE connection but the DHCP server is running on my NetLink Router. I also asked them according to them it should work just fine they have not idead why its not working. I am attaching the config screenshot can you suggest any solution? Thanks
https://freeimage.host/i/HXMzv3X
https://freeimage.host/i/HXMzhjR

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:19 pm

My ISP gave me a PPPoE connection but the DHCP server is running on my NetLink Router.
That would have been useful to mention initially.
Connect a PC set to DHCP directly to a LAN port on the NetLink router and confirm that the PC gets an IP (should be in the 192.168.1.x subnet according to your screen capture). Confirm that it's working properly. If not, your problem is in the NetLink.
Assuming that the PC directly connected to the Netlink router works, reconnect the RB750 port 1 to a LAN port on the NetLink, and reconnect the PC to a LAN port on the RB750. Then connect to RB750 and export your configuration and post it here.
To export and paste your configuration (and I'm assuming you are using WebFig or Winbox), open a terminal window, and type (without the quotes) "/export hide-sensitive file=any-filename-you-wish". Then open the files section and right click on the filename you created and select download in order to download the file to your computer. It will be a text file with whatever name you saved to with an extension of .rsc. Suggest you then open the .rsc file in your favorite text editor and redact any sensitive information. Then in your message here, click the code display icon in the toolbar above the text entry (the code display icon is the 7th one from the left and looks like a square with a blob in the middle). Then paste the text from the file in between the two code words in brackets.

Vatsu
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:06 pm

My ISP gave me a PPPoE connection but the DHCP server is running on my NetLink Router.
That would have been useful to mention initially.
Connect a PC set to DHCP directly to a LAN port on the NetLink router and confirm that the PC gets an IP (should be in the 192.168.1.x subnet according to your screen capture). Confirm that it's working properly. If not, your problem is in the NetLink.
Assuming that the PC directly connected to the Netlink router works, reconnect the RB750 port 1 to a LAN port on the NetLink, and reconnect the PC to a LAN port on the RB750. Then connect to RB750 and export your configuration and post it here.
To export and paste your configuration (and I'm assuming you are using WebFig or Winbox), open a terminal window, and type (without the quotes) "/export hide-sensitive file=any-filename-you-wish". Then open the files section and right click on the filename you created and select download in order to download the file to your computer. It will be a text file with whatever name you saved to with an extension of .rsc. Suggest you then open the .rsc file in your favorite text editor and redact any sensitive information. Then in your message here, click the code display icon in the toolbar above the text entry (the code display icon is the 7th one from the left and looks like a square with a blob in the middle). Then paste the text from the file in between the two code words in brackets.
Hi, First of all, thank you for your quick reply, and hoping to get it all working with your help. I really appreciate your time. My PC does get an IP(192.168.1.6) from the Netlink router but Mikrotik RB750gr is not getting one. Here are the config files and some screenshots. Just basically a brand new router not config except for the DHCP-client.
# jan/02/1970 00:02:57 by RouterOS 6.48.6
# software id = 83BB-775Q
#
# model = RB750Gr3
# serial number = HD2081J1Y6W
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/ip hotspot profile
set [ find default=yes ] html-directory=hotspot
/ip dhcp-client
add disabled=no interface=ether1
/system identity
set name=RouterOS
https://freeimage.host/i/HXXNMWG
https://freeimage.host/i/HXXNVsf
https://freeimage.host/i/HXXNXf4
https://freeimage.host/i/HXXNh0l

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:15 pm

This device won't do anything because ... it's not configured.

Reset it to factory defaults and it should get you going.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik Hex RB750 DHCP Client Stuck on Searching  [SOLVED]

Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:23 pm

Did you perform the test with a PC connected to the NetLink router? If so, what were the results?

For a new RB750Gr3 (at least when I bought mine a few years ago), that is no where near all of the configuration. Because you only showed us a tiny portion of the configuration, we can't tell what is going on. Please follow my instructions in my previous post and post your configuration as instructed above...

Or what mkx said...

Vatsu
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:59 am

Did you perform the test with a PC connected to the NetLink router? If so, what were the results?

For a new RB750Gr3 (at least when I bought mine a few years ago), that is no where near all of the configuration. Because you only showed us a tiny portion of the configuration, we can't tell what is going on. Please follow my instructions in my previous post and post your configuration as instructed above...

Or what mkx said...
I am braindead :0
SORRY for your wasting your time guys. I remember I had MAC filtering turned on for wifi and forgot about it damn. Its all working now I turned it off. I am ashamed.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:32 pm

Glad you figured it out.