Community discussions

MikroTik App

StriQ9
just joined
Topic Author

Hex S

Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:55 pm

Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a Mikrotik Hex S, I've had some other mikrotik stuff before, but never had the need to dig this deep in RouterOs.
Sorry in advance if my terminology is wrong on some points, I'm trying to learn, please correct me where I'm wrong.
Recently my setup has changed in a way that I cannot seem to figure out how to set it up.

Some background, I'm a sound engineer, which these days involves more and more knowledge of networking.
I try to keep up but I'm definitely not a network engineer, but like I said, I'm trying to learn and understand.

I have a setup with the Hex S and would like to use it as followed:

Port 1: Would connect to something different every time. This could be 1 device, on a static IP (possibly on a different subnet). This could also be a full existing local network with an unknown DHCP server. And everything in between.
Port 2: Same as port 1
Port 3: is connected to a Moxa NPort device, which is an RS-485 over IP device, the computer connected to Port 4 and the clients connected to the access point (port 5) should be able to connect to this.
Port 4: Connects to my USB C hub which is connected to my MacBook Air M2. This computer needs to be able to connect to every device connected to the other ports.
Port 5: An Engenius ENS500 access point is connected here, devices that connect to this Wifi would need to connect to all other devices on all ports.

Currently it the Hex S acts as the DHCP server and the ENS500 handles the wifi clients' DHCP within the same range, but not conflicting.
It would be no problem to use static IP's for all wireless clients as long as they are able to communicate with all other ports, but keeping the DCHP would be easier.

On another note:
Macbook on port 4 needs to be able to use Dante (audio over IP protocol), this would require either IGMP Snooping to be disabled or all multicast traffic to be forwarded, always to this port, for it to work with different subnets, is my understanding.
This MacBook would need to connect to other Dante devices through ports 1 and 2.
The setup would be most efficient if they get DHCP from the Hex S, but sometimes there is already a DHCP server on the existing network I'm connecting to.
Which I would like to be able to connect to, through port 1.

Ideally ports 2/3/4/5 would be on subnet 192.168.1.X, and would be able to connect to port 1 regardless of port 1's IP and regardless if there is another DHCP server on the network.
It's ok if it means port 1 only gets used with another DHCP server and port 2 is in the bridge with ports 2/3/4/5 which would get its DHCP from the Hex.
This would be my preferred setup.

Another option would be, set all ports up as a switch and do manual IP's when necessary, rely on auto IP (the 169.254.x.x range) for other things.
Some setups I encounter would be ok with auto IP, other setups would make it really difficult, so the option before would be better for me.

I will need to connect to devices that either need a DHCP server or auto IP, some are not configurable with static IP.
What are your thoughts and how could I achieve this? Let me know if you would like me to elaborate on the usual setups I'm trying to connect to if that is helpful.

I'm gonna need some guidance, thanks for your time and efforts in advance!