Community discussions

MikroTik App

BigCol
just joined
Topic Author

Switch advice please

Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:21 am

H all, looking for advice on a suitable MT switch please.

I need around 12-14 ports, maybe 6 with PoE.

I already have 2 x Cap XL Access Point which are powered by PoE.

This will be my main switch, connected to a Draytek router. Only this switch will be connected to the Draytek and everything else connected to my new switch.

Most of my devices are for home automation, film/tv streaming.

My broadband connection is currently 80Mb, not terribly fast and will be upgraded to 1Gb at some point soon.

Thanks, Colin

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Switch advice please

Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:09 am

Most probably you need a switch for indoors.

Best is use CRS328-24P-4S+RM and it's ready for future requierements with or without PoE.

I know that for now is truly overkill, but on future maybe not.

Regards.

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:45 pm

If you want POE, the CRS112-8P-4S-IN isn't too bad, and you can get a few SFP-RJ45 adapters for the SFP's.

The RB5009 with power would give you eight POE ports plus an SFP+, but you'd still need a second (cheap) switch for the remaining ports.

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:19 am

If you want POE, the CRS112-8P-4S-IN isn't too bad, and you can get a few SFP-RJ45 adapters for the SFP's.

The RB5009 with power would give you eight POE ports plus an SFP+, but you'd still need a second (cheap) switch for the remaining ports.
to further add to this answer, you will need to use 2 psu's in the 112 to allow support for both the high and low voltage (most common is 24v and 48v) and the 5009 will only support the highest voltage its presented with and ONLY through the DC or 2 pin connector (cant use PoE in and PoE out at the same time on this device.)

If you want a wider range of PoE support the 328 is quite robust as it supports af/at, low and high voltage from the single Power cable etc.