Community discussions

MikroTik App

Johnster001
Topic Author

Upgrade and restore, now cant access Router

Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:37 pm

Hi,
Yesterday I tried to upgrade my hAP ac^2 from 6.49.7 to 7.8. It failed due to lack of disk space. After I tried a couple of times the router lost all of my DHCP static entries which caused some havoc on my network. As I work through that I decided it was time to set up my "spare", an RB750G3. To that end I did a complete reset of it, then logged in and upgraded it to 6.49.7, then to 7.8. All went smoothly. After that I restored the backup I had created on the ac2, and since then I am unable to connect to it. I've tried ports 1 and 2, I cannot get a DHCP address from it and with a static IP assigned to my notebook of 192.168.88.2 and an address on what should be the LAN side of the router (192.168.100.x) I still cant connect. Is there something I did incorrectly? Should I have restored, then upgraded? Any ideas on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Upgrade and restore, now cant access Router

Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:31 pm

Did you read the manual? Backup should be restored only on the device you did the backup. Different model ... you aksked for trouble ... and you have what you asked for.

Johnster001
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:07 pm

I performed another reset and after a few reboots and going through the quick Set menu, it appears to be working, albeit with none of the settings matching my existing router, so it looks like it's ok. At this point I guess the question is, has this done any permanent damage to the router? I checked and the MAC addresses of the interfaces match what is on the sticker on the box, and it APPEARS ok, but I need to know that I can count on this in the event I have to make use of it.

Sidenote: I've created a new thread on how to free up space on my hAP ac^2 so I can get that unit upgraded, but I'd still like to get the RB750G3 set up so I can use it as a replacement if necessary.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:32 pm

Restoring wrong backup file can completely mess configuration. But it's very unlikely that it would cause permanent damage to device.

Johnster001
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:35 pm

Restoring wrong backup file can completely mess configuration. But it's very unlikely that it would cause permanent damage to device.
Thanks. I did do a backup of the RB750Gr3 after upgrading to 7.8, would it be advisable to restore that backup or should I be good to go as it is? Currently it appears to be working normally, but I did observe some very odd behaviour (interface list empty) before I reset it a couple of times.

marsbeetle

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:40 pm

It wouldn’t have done any permanent damage. Once you are happy with your configuration on the hAP just export the configuration and then manually add everything you need from that export to your backup RB which will mostly just be a copy and paste of commands. Read the docs.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:40 pm

If the backup was made while device was running fine, then restoring config from backup file should be fine. If backup is from same device that is.

Johnster001
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:59 pm

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses, I've learned quite a bit.

Cheers!