Community discussions

MikroTik App

Johnster001
Topic Author

How to free up space so I can upgrade to v7?

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:28 pm

Hi,
I have a hAP ac^2 running 6.49.7. I'd like to upgrade it to v7.8 in order to make use of the Wireguard feature. My first couple of attempts failed due to lack of disk space (the second attempt wiped out almost all of my DHCP reservations, which I'm still recovering from). According to the Resources tab, I have 716 KiB of free disk space, so apparently I need to free up a lot of space in order to upgrade. My Files section is almost empty, under Packages, I have:
Ntp
Routeros-arm
advanced-tools
dhcp
hotspot
ipv6 (disabled)
mpls
ppp
routing
security
system
wireless

All are version 6.49.7
What would be the recommended procedure to free up space so I upgrade safely? I'm happy to provide any additional information if required.

Thanks!

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to free up space so I can upgrade to v7?

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:29 pm

Using netinstall is probably safer.

Johnster001
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:32 pm

Using netinstall is probably safer.
Thanks for that response. Is netinstall considered "safe". Will all of my configs be kept or will I likely need to restore from backup afterwards?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:37 pm

Export config to text file. It doesn't contain absolutely everything (it lacks users, passwords, certificates, ssh keys, etc.), but it's pretty safe to trsnsfer to another device model. Plus you can see what it contaibs so you can adapt config if necessary.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:45 pm

Try
- disabling / removing anything in Tools->Graphing
- removing any backups in flash ( but download a backup copy to your PC first )
- Remove any scripts you don't need ( back them up first to your PC )
- remove unnecessary files in flash

Johnster001
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:57 pm

Excellent, thanks for the responses.

I did the config export and was browsing through it. I came across hundreds of lines similar to:
add address=101.100.164.159 list=pwlgrzs-blacklist

I recall setting up a script to download and update that blacklist, could those entries be taking up disk space? I can easily purge them and re-add them afterwards.

un9edsda
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:02 pm

I recall setting up a script to download and update that blacklist, could those entries be taking up disk space? I can easily purge them and re-add them afterwards.
It can be a reason for the "missing" space. However as @mkx has already written the risk averse method of changing over from v6 to v7 is with Netinstall, Mikrotik made a video on how to do it on Microsoft Windows (don't keep your old configuration so yo have a clean slate).