MikroTik App

PortalNET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

CCR1036-2S+ PPPOE-SERVER 600 users fiber with wifi-speed issues on wifi6

Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:35 pm

Hi guys

i have an odd issue we are currently using a 1036 2S+ Core router being used as PPPOE-SERVER..

our clients are all fiber connections with speeds 300mbps and 500mbps plans... our OLTs have uplink 10G port.. connected to 1036 sfp+ port with specific vlan tagged mode..

our ONU devices are all bridge and vlan-tagged specific vlan.. and we use WIFI-6e Routers on clients Huawei and other brands manufactures.. all AX1800 and AX1500mbps..

we setup the pppoe-client login in our wifi6 routers and they connect fine.. but wifi speeds connected with mobile devices on wifi6 won´t go over 300 to 350mbps max download and upload average 350 up to 500mbps max...

but the same router with PC connected on Gigabit LAN port.. we do speedtest and goes 550mbps sometimes max speed up to 800mbps download and 500 to 800mbps upload using same pppoe-client login on the router..

so i tought strange.. it could be an issue with wifi channel.. tried all sort of configurations on wifi 6 channels but same thing.. using 3 different brand of wifi 6 mobile fones.. iphone, motorola, samsung s22 ultra and all same average speeds..

so i tried.. setting up a static IP on the router and plug it straight in a free Ethernet port on the mikrotik ccr1036, with no queues no limits.. and tested cable pc linked LAN gigabit.. and download speeds and upload speeds 940Mbps... down and upload both the same 940mbps speeds.. ok.. so far so good..

tested also wifi with the same 3 brands mobile phones.. and speeds on wifi go from 650mbps up to 890mbps download speeds and upload also.. so i know its not the phones neither wht router wifi6 limitations.. which lead me to ne next test..

i have setup a pppoe-server specific on that CCR1036 ethernet port.. just with the router wifi6.. and just with profile default from mikrotik with no limits.. max speed download wifi 300 ao 390mbps.. and upload speeds up to 700mbps .. tested with custom specific profiles created for 500mbps and 600mbps.. and same thing.. download average 300 to 400mbps max.. and upload goes easy up to 600mbps..

so i am wondering if there is any kind of specific configuration on the queues or PCC.. that could help me to improve this wifi speeds.. the strange part is that the limitation seems to be only on the wifi connections.. because on the LAN cable connected to the PC.. even with PPPOE-client setup on router with 700 or 800mbps plan.. it goes easily at the plans speed on the queues.. which makes me more confused still.. and we are talking of brand new phones.. 8GB ram, 12GB ram.. snapdragon cpus.. if running without pppoe direct on the ethernet interface they can go easy 800 to 900mbps max on wifi.. but on pppoe wont go over 300 to 400mbps max download.. and upload allways go higher.. even with just 1 single router connected on the pppoe-server on the ethernet port..

Any kind of magic or maybe configuration in the profiles i am missing?

Any ideas or has anyone else had something siliar happening?

BTW i am running long-term-release firmware 6.48.xx i think the lastest long-term-version available from ROS 6.xx

un9edsda
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: CCR1036-2S+ PPPOE-SERVER 600 users fiber with wifi-speed issues on wifi6

Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:46 pm

i have setup a pppoe-server specific on that CCR1036 ethernet port.. just with the router wifi6.. and just with profile default from mikrotik with no limits.. max speed download wifi 300 ao 390mbps.. and upload speeds up to 700mbps .. tested with custom specific profiles created for 500mbps and 600mbps.. and same thing.. download average 300 to 400mbps max.. and upload goes easy up to 600mbps..
so i am wondering if there is any kind of specific configuration on the queues or PCC.. that could help me to improve this wifi speeds..

BTW i am running long-term-release firmware 6.48.xx i think the lastest long-term-version available from ROS 6.xx
Regarding shaping and queuing you may find useful to have a look at FQ_Codel and Mikrotik CCR CPU Utilization and some quick comments on configuring cake topics if you haven't already. Although this does require moving on to v7 (preferably with Netinstall than building up the configuration from scratch to match the new methodology).

Another thing that you may want to look at is to move on from PPPoE to DHCP in order to solve the issue (if your accounting system supports it).

PortalNET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:43 pm

so i am wondering if there is any kind of specific configuration on the queues or PCC.. that could help me to improve this wifi speeds..

Regarding shaping and queuing you may find useful to have a look at FQ_Codel and Mikrotik CCR CPU Utilization and some quick comments on configuring cake topics if you haven't already. Although this does require moving on to v7 (preferably with Netinstall than building up the configuration from scratch to match the new methodology).

Another thing that you may want to look at is to move on from PPPoE to DHCP in order to solve the issue (if your accounting system supports it).

Hiya. first of all thanks for spending time reading my post and dropping a comment, i will certainly have a read at the topics.. also will need to check if our ISP ERP system can handle monitoring via DHCP or DHCP82 options as it seems it only runs on pppoe-radius server ATM.

Thanks

PatrykLesniak
just joined

Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:04 pm

Hi, We have the same problem did you fix it?

sirbryan

Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:41 am

There are significant improvements for Tile CPU's in 7.x that may help improve things, if you haven't already upgraded. My CPU on just plain routing 2.5Gbps went from 3% to 0% utilization. I imagine if you are shaping, then fq-codel will be CPU friendly and pretty effective. I don't do any PPPoE, so I can't speak to utilization improvements there.