MikroTik App

Wade12
just joined
Topic Author

CRS312 1gbit combine 10gbit LAN

Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:07 am

Hi,
i need som expert advice because i am new to Mikrotik switches,
I am thinking about getting a Mikrotik CRS312-4C+8XG-RM 10gbit swtich and replace my old HP switch 1gbit-baseT 24port. This is because our PCs need high speed networking due to big videofiles switching (video editing company) against our NAS (10gbit-baseT interface)
Our PC´s have 10gbit-baseT NICs however we also have other "standard" network devices witch uses standard 1gbit-baseT NIC´S like Wifi access point, printer and internet connection 1gbit) these devices will combined in the switch so my question is

-Is it possible with CRS312 to mix 10gbit and 1gbit interfaces? or will the speed be reduced to 1gbi for all ports or can you see other issues with this design with mixing 1gbit and 10gbit?

-If above is supported and i need more ports can i use a secondary CRS312 switch connected as uplink?

-to use the four combo interface must i use RouterOS or will it work with SwitchOS aswell?

Thank you,
Best Regards Wade

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CRS312 1gbit combine 10gbit LAN

Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:26 pm

Yes, you can connect a secondary CRS312 switch as an uplink to add more ports. This is called "stacking" and is supported by the CRS312.

It could be that different equipment vendors use same word but with different meanings. However, all vendors that I'm familiar with, use "stacking" in case that multiple switches are used as if they formed a large single logical switch with single administrative UI. They either use proprietary means of interconnection (providing high-speed backplane) or at least proprietary protocol for central management (run over standard interface). The closest to this Mikrotik can get is IEEE 802.1br (port extender) which, as Mikrotik implements it, kills a lot of performance of such "stack".

What @anwar4870 mentioned is not switch stacking, it's usual switch interconnection, each switch has to be configured individually and each switch autonomously gandles traffic between its ports.