Community discussions

MikroTik App

famouswolluf
just joined
Topic Author

How to use multiple ports for one dhcp server

Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:19 pm

We want to use the MikroTik CRS326-24G-2S+RM, I picked this one because it has 24 ports + 2 sfp ports.
Right now we have 2 switches (24 ports), 1 for voip phones and 1 for the pcs.
I was thinking about connecting all pcs straight to the router and disconnect the 24port switch for the pcs.
I don't know what the best way is to get the dhcp server working on port 1 to 24.
The first option I figured out myself was adding 24 dhcp servers connected to the same ip pool (one for each port), but I dont know how this will impact the router performance.
A second option I discovered was using a bonding interface in broadcast mode and connect it to port 1 to 24 and add one dhcp server and hook that to the bonding interface, but will this impact bandwith?
So basicly whats the best way to get the 24 ports serving from the same ip pool so I can use them for the pcs?

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to use multiple ports for one dhcp server

Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:54 pm

In short answer, you will set up a bridge and the DHCP server will point to the bridge rather than an individual port.

Disclaimer: I am very weak on bridges in RouterOS (I don't use them) so I can't really walk you through the steps required. But this should be a starting point for you to do some more studying.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:16 pm

Why do you talk about ROUTER when you picked a switch????

We want to use the MikroTik CRS326-24G-2S+RM, I picked this one because it has 24 ports + 2 sfp ports.
Right now we have 2 switches (24 ports), 1 for voip phones and 1 for the pcs.
I was thinking about connecting all pcs straight to the router and disconnect the 24port switch for the pcs.

The CRS326 is not a router!!!!
You would be lucky to get over 500mbps through the WAN for example.

The main advantage of a switch from my low level of knowledge is you have large volumes of transfers between clients on ports of the switch.
Thus the traffic never touches the router.
The router strength is in firewall rules between subnets and traffic in/out of the WAN.

Suggest you keep your existing switches and get something like the RB5009 for the routing side
OR
If you really want to replace one of the switches, with a router that can also do some switching, then get something like the CCR2116.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In summary, it would be best to actually detail the needs of each device by reviewing the amount of traffic from each port, where that traffic is headed,
to determine best fit.
Last edited by anav on Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:22 pm

The CRS326 is not a router!!!!
Well, it is a router - but a very limited capacity one. Primarily intended as a switch.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:25 pm

Sure, and take your electric bicycle using major highways from LA to NY.......... dont be ridonkulous