Community discussions

MikroTik App

paulz
Topic Author

see MT model from a non-encrypted backup

Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:28 pm

Hello,

I know there are no converters from backup to human readable but I want to know if there is a way to know the model (or serial number) of the MT that made the backup.
I am not a tidy keeper, I tend to forget and I ended up with many-many folders for 5 different MTs, reused or migrated from one another.
Backups are not encrypted. I can see useful info but not the model name.
Restoring to a temp MT results 90% in a brick, as I disable discovery by default... do not ask.
Maybe I will restore to a MT with USB and use WooBM to enter but it has to be a better way to get the model info out of it.

Thanks and regards,
Paul

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: see MT model from a non-encrypted backup

Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:05 pm

The model is not a property you can set, so what's the point of saving it in the backup?

At least search the device name... But also backup have on default for filename the same of device name and the isodate-time...

paulz
Topic Author

Re: see MT model from a non-encrypted backup

Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:40 pm

You helped me a lot! Wow, I can search inside for device name! Thank you.

I understand. My backup naming convention is 20230322_1340 (but no description) for example and I put the files in folders, but when I am in a hurry I tend to have nested "New Folder"s... which lay for a while until I do a "final" backup (which I do the right way and where is supposed to be) but I am now more interested in intermediary stages.

Thank you.