Community discussions

MikroTik App

GiovanniG
Topic Author

There is any improvement from 6.49.7 to 7.8 about capsman roaming?

Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:56 pm

Hi! I've some routers working with capsman, they may be upgraded to version 7,8 but I want to know if is worth to do, I mean about wifi performance and roaming, does the new OS supposrt 802.11k, 802.11r, and 802.11v? If not I don't see a real reason to upgrade from my side.
Thank you for your kind answers

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: There is any improvement from 6.49.7 to 7.8 about capsman roaming?

Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:06 pm

Mixed answer.
New features (like the ones you mention) are (partly) available in ROS7 BUT only when you also can apply wifiwave2 package.
Secondly, capsman controller for wifiwave2 devices is available (parts still via CLI, I believe) but also there, be aware a device can not be capsman controller for both legacy and wifiwave2 access points. So you would need 2 controllers then.

Other then that, there are quite some other things which have been improved in ROS7 (also on the legacy wifi part) so ...
If no real need to upgrade, it might be best to stay where you are.
If you got the HW to spare, test a ROS7 setup before applying it in production environment.

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:41 pm

thank you, this is real wise answer.
So I'll test it somewehere else before, I suppose that as all devices are able to be upgrade to 7.8 (I have a RB750UPr2 acting as main gateway+Capsman and 4 RB952Ui-5ac2nD as AP), so I won't have legacy devices.

If I got you right I have to instal it from extra packages, at home I have a spare RB951G-2HnD but on mipsbe extra packages zip file there is not wifiwave2. Is it normal?
After instlaling it I'll see a kind of wifiwave2 menu and I should use it instead of capsman, right?
Thanks

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:26 pm

Wifiwave2 package has been made available for non-wifi device to act as controller but sadly not on mipsbe.

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/WifiWave2
The WifiWave2 package contains software for managing compatible 802.11ax and 802.11ac wave 2 wireless interfaces.
Builds for x86, ppc, mmips and tile architectures contain the configuration utilities needed to centrally manage interfaces (as a CAPsMAN controller). Builds for arm and arm64 also contain interface drivers and firmware.

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:48 pm

So if I have a nikrotik non-mipsbe and mipsbe AP can I run wifiwave2 and manage those AP by that?
Or everything should be wifiwave2 compatible/add extra package?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:21 pm

You're mixing things up (and to be truthful, it has not been made easy) :lol:

2 separate things:
APs with wifi: ONLY wifiwave2 capable devices will be able to make use of that package. But it's not needed, you can stay on legacy wifi if your device comes like that out of the box.
AC3 (non-LTE)
Audience
RB4011 wifi version (but you will loose 2GHz radio)
AX-devices (here it is even mandatory: without that package, no radio).

Controller: depending on processor platform wifiwave2 package can be installed so that device may be used as capsman controller for wifiwave2-capable APs.
For legacy wifi-APs (or capable devices but without wifiwave2 package installed), you will still need a separate capsman controller (without wifiwave2 package)

I hope that clarifies ?

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:28 pm

Yes, now it's clear, thanks.
WIth the devices I have, no way to run wifiwave2, even if I change the main router.
I'll have only Capsman which doesn't support 802.11k, 802.11r, and 802.11v, so I'll never have such protocols available.
Chances are, Mikrotik will never implement those protocols on Capsman, they will develope only wifiwave2. The only hope I may believe I have is they will create an extra package wifiwave2 for mipsbe, but I read it requires lot of resurces so I don't know if they will create a light version for mipsbe..