Community discussions

MikroTik App

porch
just joined
Topic Author

Plugging laptop into VLAN port, blocks bridge interface of other router.

Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:06 am

I have a strange one. This is with two 2011UiAS-2HnD.
LivingRoom 192.168.1.24 (spf1) -> (spf1) BatteryRoom 192.168.1.25

The BatteryRoom router is doing most of the work. Duel WAN, VLANS, VPNs, etc. The LivingRoom router is working as a WIFI access point, and some of the ports are assigned VLANs, but that is it.

When I plug a laptop into port 5 of LivingRoom, it is on VLAN3, gets a DHCP address from the VLAN3 (192.168.3.0/24) pool (on BatteryRoom router), and everything just works fine.
When I plug the same laptop into port 2 of LivingRoom, it is on VLAN4, gets a DHCP address from the VLAN4 (192.168.4.0/24) pool (on BatteryRoom router), and it can access the internet, but within seconds, nothing else can ping BatteryRoom at 192.168.1.25. Everything else goes down. I can ping things in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, even stuff connected to the BatteryRoom router, but I can't ping the router itself. BatteryRoom router itself at 192.168.1.24 can't ping BatteryRoom at 192.168.1.25.
Unplugging the laptop from port 2, and after 3 minutes or so, I can ping 192.168.1.25 again and everything returns to normal.

I don't see a difference between VLAN3 and 4. It's like an MAC address collision, but I checked the ARP table and the MAC address on the laptop, and it is not the same as anything on the 2 routers.

Anyone see something like this before?
Sanitized configs attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Plugging laptop into VLAN port, blocks bridge interface of other router.

Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:03 pm

When you decide to have one bridge, and all subnets on vlans, I can help.

porch
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:06 am

That is the end goal.
At the moment, I need to replace a switch with a managed one for the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet and make that subnet a real VLAN, and also workout how I can assign a wifi interface to that VLAN2. But first, I am trying to make VLANs work as expected.
Little steps.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:04 am

Have you at some point imported a .backup from one of the Mikrotiks to the other? The mac-address=E4:8D:8C:7D:AF:xx settings under /interface ethernet suggest this, in which case you may have duplicate MACs which confuse the bridge/switch forwarding tables.

There are also potential issues on devices using ports on multiple switch chips which are members of the same bridge, see https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... witchchips

porch
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:43 am

Have you at some point imported a .backup from one of the Mikrotiks to the other? The mac-address=E4:8D:8C:7D:AF:xx settings under /interface ethernet suggest this, in which case you may have duplicate MACs which confuse the bridge/switch forwarding tables.

There are also potential issues on devices using ports on multiple switch chips which are members of the same bridge, see https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... witchchips
I don't ever recall importing a backup from one to the other. But at some point,I did notice the the bridges had the same mac address and I had to change one.
At the moment, I am keeping the VLANS on switch 1, but I will look into that when I expand.
Thanks

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:21 am

The addresses would initially be different so they must have been transferred across at some point. Use /interface ethernet [find] reset-mac-address to restore the inbuilt MAC addresses on the ethernet interfaces, other references (bridge admin, secondary wifi, L2 tunnel interfaces) have to be adjusted manually.

porch
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:11 pm

The addresses would initially be different so they must have been transferred across at some point. Use /interface ethernet [find] reset-mac-address to restore the inbuilt MAC addresses on the ethernet interfaces, other references (bridge admin, secondary wifi, L2 tunnel interfaces) have to be adjusted manually.
Thank you. I reset all the Ethernet macs, removed the bridge admin mac, and gave the secondary wifi a different mac, and my problem went away.
That was a strange one I didn't think about.
Thanks for the help.