Community discussions

MikroTik App

zg3rd
just joined
Topic Author

CHR on Openstack

Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:14 am

Hi, I'm currently trying to get CHR working on our Openstack cluster and cant seem to be able to get it to route between networks.

The setup right now is pretty simple with 2 networks, both with public IPs, with both networks connected on 2 interfaces on a CHR instance. I am able to reach the CHR without issue on its interfaces from within their networks but it is not routing between them. There are no firewall rules or anything and the routes show up in the route list as distance 0 directly connected routes. The only thing I can think of is that the MTU for the two interfaces are different (1500 and 1450) due to how they are setup but this shouldnt . I'm not sure if I missed something but I feel like im banging my head against the wall with no progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

YiHuang
just joined

Re: CHR on Openstack

Fri May 05, 2023 7:01 pm

I would recommend to use vlan as openstack tenant network instead of vxlan gre geneve, this simply gives you line rate performance and all mtu 1500 without any fragmentation.
Here is the driver that support mikrotik vlan openstack tenant network
https://github.com/YiHuangIX/MikrotikOp ... nML2Driver
PS: in practice you should only choose vxlan gre geneve as tenant network when your network card have hardware offload support vxlan gre geneve, and your application does not care about mtu fragmentation.