Community discussions

MikroTik App

rossi
just joined
Topic Author

Travel router possible?

Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:35 pm

I'm trying to create a travel router setup and got recommended both GL-iNet and Mikrotik for this purpose.
Could you give some advice on whether this is possible?

We have a person who has a GlobalProtect IPSec-VPN running for work on their work laptop (Windows app handles the VPN).
He would also like to access his home network during the week, but he doesn't have admin rights to install another VPN solution (eg Wireguard).
We thought about constructing the VPN before the laptop, so the company VPN gets incapsulated in his own VPN. (E.g. Wireguard, to avoid TCP on top of TCP).
An additional challenge is that his home connection is IPv4 CGNAT (but public IP can be gotten for a monthly fee), or IPv6.

There are plenty of guides on how to set up a Wireguard server on a multitude of devices, we're comfortable with that.

Can we use RouterOS and a Mikrotik device to become a travel router, i.e.

- set up a Wireguard client which will route everything through that tunnel
- let a laptop connect through ethernet/wifi
- can also connect to eg hotel wifi and let other wifi devices connect to the tunnel
- drop/block the entire WAN-connection if the tunnel stops working

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Travel router possible?

Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:12 am

This is definitely possible, I have such a router myself. One thing to watch out for is by blocking non-tunneled traffic, if your hotel hotspot / Wi-Fi session expires you will never be redirected to the captive portal to login again.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:33 am

Check out this thread for some wifi tips:
viewtopic.php?t=138480

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:15 pm

ralphmeyer
just joined

Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:01 pm

I totally get the struggle of needing to access your home network while on the go. And dealing with CGNAT and IPv6 can be a headache too. But it sounds like you have a plan to set up a Wireguard server, which is great.