Community discussions

MikroTik App

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Segment Routing and IS-IS

Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:01 pm

Kicking off the new year to reiterate my MikroTik wish list....while there are many things i'd love to see in ROSv7, these are my top 2.

1) Segment Routing - In the service provider and data center space, MPLS is rapidly moving over to SR-MPLS because it simplifies both label exchange and traffic engineering considerably. When using traditional MPLS signaling, LDP and RSVP are required along with the IGP. SR-MPLS combines all of those functions into the IGP. Traffic engineering capabilities are fantastic because the source of traffic can be used in the policy decision and you no longer have to maintain state throughout the entire path as is the case with RSVP-TE.

2) IS-IS - I think IS-IS is one of the smartest choices that MIkroTik could make as a routing protocol addition. Having worked on MikroTik networks for more than 10 years, i've seen scaling issues with OSPF. IS-IS even in other vendor networks has less overhead and would pair well with the low-power and low-cost processors that MikroTik uses in routers and switches. It also operates at Layer 2 which makes it easy to transport IPv4 or IPv6 using the same process and is much harder to attack since there is no L3 required for adjacency/neighbor to form.

Both of these protocols pair well together as SR-MPLS is an extension of the IGP. I think we would see significant adoption by DC and SP operators of MikroTik devices (as opposed to Cisco/Juniper) if these two protocols were added to ROSv7.

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Segment Routing and IS-IS

Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:55 pm

For full inexpensive IS-IS support, take a look at H3C or Huawei switches.

zbiles
just joined

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:21 pm

+1, this would be extremely useful in the wisp industry. At least to me it's much simpler to understand than MPLS, so would lower the barrier to entry for wisps to build proper routed networks.

chipper43
just joined

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:32 pm

+1 Solid carrier grade move.

brytonh
just joined

Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:21 pm

Yes please!

both protocols would help tremendously with inter-op applications for network operators.

networkfudge
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:24 pm

+1 for SR-MPLS & IS-IS support in v7.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:15 am

+1

I support this as well.

I have asked in the past and was told IS-IS was not on the roadmap due to lack of demand. Hopefully this thread can show Mikrotik how much demand is really out there.

slvfibergarrett
just joined

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:27 am

+1. Segment Routing and IS-IS would be killer.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:46 am

+1

However, I also do want to see RouterOS v7 stabilized. I would be thrilled if we could move our core BGP routers to ROS 7 in a years time or so. We need working MPLS first for that, and for the existing routing stack to have stabilized enough.

SeanTrusc
just joined

Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:02 am

+1

Both these protocols would help our network scalability tremendously

Michaelcrapse

Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:00 pm

As a service provider with 500+mikortik routers in the network, we would love to have IS-IS for scalability

dalr
just joined

Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:28 pm

+1 for both segment routing and IS-IS.

hknet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:54 am

+1 on IS-IS and segmented routing - pleeease :)

mafiosa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:42 pm

+1 for IS-IS and segment routing.

JJT211
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:20 am

++1

mafiosa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:06 am

+1 for IS-IS

bajodel
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:49 pm

+2 (both)

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:34 pm

IS-IS and SR would indeed be a big step forward

brotherdust
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 05, 2021 9:43 pm

I’ve said this so many times that I think I’m starting to go crazy. 😁 I would really prefer RouterOS 7 just use FRR for its routing engine; that way they get all the nice features we want, such as IS-IS and SR “for free”. Hopefully the rest of the community realizes this and pushes for it before it’s too late.

vischi
just joined

Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:36 pm

+1 and +100 by my colleagues :-)

SR-MPLS and ISIS will be the next step to industrial standard.
Hope we can push this issue in 2023 as well.

Best regards

DarkNate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:38 pm

ISIS is normalised and preferred. Segment routing would be great for proper traffic engineering and routing symmetry in large scale ISPs. Even without MPLS/VXLAN.

I hope MikroTik supports both soon.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:41 am

I’ve said this so many times that I think I’m starting to go crazy. 😁 I would really prefer RouterOS 7 just use FRR for its routing engine; that way they get all the nice features we want, such as IS-IS and SR “for free”. Hopefully the rest of the community realizes this and pushes for it before it’s too late.
Probably because the new routing engine in RouterOS v7 is technically more advanced than FRR.

brotherdust
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:21 am

Probably because the new routing engine in RouterOS v7 is technically more advanced than FRR.
It’s possible. I’ve not performed a full 1:1 feature parity analysis between them. That being said, I didn’t make the assertion that one is superior to the other. I was making the point that MikroTik could have had an opportunity to start with an existing routing stack that’s proven in production, and all the features thereof. They could also have moved the state of FRR forward with their own contributions back to the community; but they didn’t, and that’s a decision I can respect.

I am not particularly biased either way, as it’s more of a “use the tool that fits the job” question for me. RouterOS is good enough for most purposes; when I need a feature RouterOS doesn’t have, usually I can find it in FRR (segment routing just happens to be the topic of this thread, so I’ll use that as an example; other (current) examples include BGP ORR, BGP LS, BMP (partially supported by RouterOS, IIRC?), BGP Flowspec, etc).

We have ISIS as of RouterOS 7.13, so that’s cool. I’m sure MikroTik will consider some of the more complex use-cases enabled by the various extensions to BGP that have come out of the IETF eventually. So, to me it’s only a matter of time.

Anyway, all the best to you and yours, mate.😉