Community discussions

MikroTik App

mdkberry
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

PCQ Queue for multiple client VLANS in serviced office

Wed May 28, 2014 4:19 am

Would appreciate some comments on this setup for the PCQ queue.

I have a bunch of internal vlans (one per client in a serviced office) that need to be restricted to say max limit of 5/5mbps each vlan on a 20/20mbps fibre line. They rarely go over.

I was having a go at marking the traffic per vlan
then using PCQ in simple queue to control the limits.
It seems to work, but I am not sure this is right way to do it so would like some comments.

the problem area maybe the voip that is going to be on Vlan 99 which needs priority but rarely uses much bandwidth and should never hit 5mbps anyway. I planned to make this priority 1 while all the other queues are priority 8.

anyway here is an abridged copy and paste so you get the idea of where I am going with it. maybe there is a better approach.
/ip firewall mangle> print

0   chain=prerouting action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=VLAN_20_conn passthrough=yes in-interface=VLAN_20 

1   chain=postrouting action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=VLAN_20_conn passthrough=yes out-interface=VLAN_20 

2   chain=prerouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=VLAN_20_Mark passthrough=yes connection-mark=VLAN_20_conn 

3   chain=postrouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=VLAN_20_Mark passthrough=yes connection-mark=VLAN_20_conn 

4   chain=prerouting action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=VLAN_30_conn passthrough=yes in-interface=VLAN_30 

5   chain=postrouting action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=VLAN_30_conn passthrough=yes out-interface=VLAN_30 

6   chain=prerouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=VLAN_30_Mark passthrough=yes connection-mark=VLAN_30_conn 

7   chain=postrouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=VLAN_30_Mark passthrough=yes connection-mark=VLAN_30_conn 
.....[snip]...
32   chain=prerouting action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=VLAN_99_conn passthrough=yes in-interface=VLAN_99 

33   chain=postrouting action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=VLAN_99_conn passthrough=yes out-interface=VLAN_99 

34   chain=prerouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=VLAN_99_Mark passthrough=yes connection-mark=VLAN_99_conn 

35   chain=postrouting action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=VLAN_99_Mark passthrough=yes connection-mark=VLAN_99_conn 

/queue type

5   name="PCQ_5M_Download" kind=pcq pcq-rate=5M pcq-limit=50 pcq-classifier=src-address pcq-total-limit=20000000 
     pcq-burst-rate=0 pcq-burst-threshold=0 pcq-burst-time=10s pcq-src-address-mask=0 pcq-dst-address-mask=0 
     pcq-src-address6-mask=64 pcq-dst-address6-mask=64 

6   name="PCQ_5M_Upload" kind=pcq pcq-rate=5M pcq-limit=50 pcq-classifier=dst-address pcq-total-limit=20000000 pcq-burst-rate=0 
     pcq-burst-threshold=0 pcq-burst-time=10s pcq-src-address-mask=0 pcq-dst-address-mask=0 pcq-src-address6-mask=64 
     pcq-dst-address6-mask=64 
/queue simple

0    name="TOTAL_Q1" target="" parent=none packet-marks="" priority=8/8 queue=default/default limit-at=0/0 max-limit=20M/20M 
      burst-limit=0/0 burst-threshold=0/0 burst-time=0s/0s 

1    name="VLAN_20" target="" parent=TOTAL_Q1 packet-marks=VLAN_20_Mark priority=8/8 queue=PCQ_5M_Upload/PCQ_5M_Download 
      limit-at=0/0 max-limit=0/0 burst-limit=0/0 burst-threshold=0/0 burst-time=0s/0s 

2    name="VLAN_30" target="" parent=TOTAL_Q1 packet-marks=VLAN_30_Mark priority=8/8 queue=PCQ_5M_Upload/PCQ_5M_Download 
....[snip]....
9    name="VLAN_99" target="" parent=TOTAL_Q1 packet-marks=VLAN_99_Mark priority=1/1 queue=PCQ_5M_Upload/PCQ_5M_Download 

imuccini
just joined

Re: PCQ Queue for multiple client VLANS in serviced office

Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:18 pm

Hi,
I have a similar use case to address.
The only difference is that I have 3 Plans (e..g 50Mbps, 100Mbps, 200 Mbps).
Do you think it would work if I create a PCP queue for each plan and then follow your example but assigning each VLAN to the right PCQ queue.

If my understanding is correct, PCP queues will make sure to distribute equally the traffic among all the customers (VLANs) of the same Plan.

Doable??