Community discussions

MikroTik App

imuccini
just joined
Topic Author

VLAN-based rate limits with many VLANs

Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:20 pm

Hi,
I have a multi-tenant office building hosting many companies (coworking). Each tenant will get a WiFi PPSK (different WiFi vendor) and all traffic from the same PPSK gets tagged with its own VLAN. So there could be dozens of VLANS.

I need to be able to offer tenants different Bandwidth tiers (e.g 50Mbps, 100Mbps, etc), just a few options.

I need a way to apply bandwidth limit based on VLANs for both downlink and uplink.
My idea is to use a centralized Mikrotik switch for achieving this.

Is this doable? Any recommended HW that better supports such capabilities?

I’ve read some forum posts where this seems quite (too much) simple using queues. viewtopic.php?t=166358

(And, finally, I would need to configure these rules programmatically and remotely via APIs.)

wiseroute

Re: VLAN-based rate limits with many VLANs

Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:25 am

hi.

your requirements depends on how many aps are you going to use, and whether you want to use an ap controller?

hmm.. if that's the case, i think you should go with single name for easier control.

virtual ap is not uncommon. utilizing vlan. mikrotik does support bandwidth cap at interface level. you can read it in the wiki page.

scripting via api or whatever it depends on whether you will use ap controller nor mix brands that you use.

hope this helps.

imuccini
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:25 am

I don't see any problem on the wireless side. I am using PPSK technology that assigns unique a VLAN to all packets generated by any client who use the same PSK on WiFi, this is handled with an external solution (cusna.io).

The question is what is the best solution to rate limit download/upload traffic for each VLAN.

I've been looking at the Switch Chip feature of CRS/CCR series that promise more performances, but VLAN-based rate limit seems to be applicable only on ingress traffic and the "rate" attribute can be used only on the first 32 rule slots. So for the moment I rule out this solutions.

After spending a few hours reading the forum I think the solutions could be to use Queue Trees. On top, I can create a few PCQ Queues (one for each of the traffic plans), and then add under the realted PCQ queue one simple queue for each of my Tenants.
Is this a path worth exploring?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:03 pm

how much total bandwidth you have available? growt planned?

that will be your parameter to define which router to use

i dont think in this case a switch can do a proper job

for a small installation with around 500mbps i think a rb5009 can do the job, for any bigger go with ccr2116

i look this scenario like a small ISP

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:11 pm

I have implemented Simple Queues on my Mikrotik router. A queue per VLAN. That is, in my opinion, by far the easiest way...if your router (what router is used?) supports it.

wiseroute

Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:12 pm

@ imuccini
The question is what is the best solution to rate limit download/upload traffic for each VLAN.
as @mkx said on the other topic - which I couldn't say it, shortly like this :

bandwidth and settings weren't like n*n = bandwidth available.

and, for your layout - it's not only about queue. but you need to understand your network layout in conjunction with bandwidth management.

as i said, it's easier to manage if you put single brand than those with multi vendor environment.

here is the first example
clients ---> mt1, mt2, mt3 so forth ---> core
you can directly manage those mt1,2,3 in single config to deliver the bandwidth cap.

and, how about this layout
clients ---> mt1, mt2, other1, other2 so forth ---> core
you will have difficulties to manage such setup.

hence you need a dedicated device to do bandwidth management for those mt1,2, other1,2 etc.
clients ---> mt1, mt2, other1, other2 etc ---> bandwidth manager ---> core
hence the mt1,2 etc just being the access devices nonetheless.

@cechito

agreed. capacity planning.

the point is your network layout dictate how you will deliver the bandwidth. be it local building, or bandwidth reseller, the concept is pretty much the same.

the deeper the queue, it might means you have lost your potential bandwidth and device resources.

hope this helps.