Community discussions

MikroTik App

Sanity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Please provide reverse configurations for enterprise level equipment.

Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:07 pm

I.e. TOR equipment.
You normally have a hot and a cold isle - and, funny enough, because you do not want to mix air, running cables from back to front is not that easy.

It is standard to have switches then mounted in a reverse - patch cables to the back, power supplies to the front. Equipment that may be used in a data center is often also offered in a reverse configuration - basically the airflow going back to front, so cold air is polled in from the back.
And yes, unless you start getting suppliers to provide servers that have the network cards in front (which will not happen) you basically need to run rack internal patching to servers in the back - without creating an air loop.

Cisco and a lot of manufacturers provide switches in reverse configuration as an option - please do the same basically for everything that is enterprise level. 48port gigabit, multiple 25g ports -> that stuff is also used in TOR configurations and right now those are problematic, pulling in hot air and emitting it into the cold aisle.

An optimal solution would be configurable - software setting for the case level switches, alternate power supplies or a small switch on the side for power supplies.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Please provide reverse configurations for enterprise level equipment.

Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:26 pm

TOR equipment???
http://www.torequipment.com

Some Sanity check is needed, post hard to read and understand.

Simply drill the holes on reverse side, if you can't live with that...
if you don't also have the bar to screw the peripherals in the back...

Topic from the same user that want remove power jack and uselessly replace (what already works well) with USB-C connectors and relative components.....
viewtopic.php?p=971985#p971985

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:39 pm

Cisco and a lot of manufacturers provide switches in reverse configuration as an option
Examples please.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:55 pm

For example, Catalyst 4500-X can have two types of fan: Front2Back or Back2Front, this change the airflow,
but at the same time the device (NOT THE FANS) can be mount on any direction, with ports on the back or on the front.
(the F2B fans and B2F fans are two different artiles and can't be inverted the direction of the flow on software)

psannz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:46 pm

Why not just open the case and rotate the fans?

I mean, sure, I get the appeal of -F and -R SKUs, but that product diversification costs money, which many of Mikrotik’s customers can’t afford.
Thus, I really don’t see it happening on any product that’s not already using hotswap fans, and even then possibly only via buying an additional -R fan kit.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:28 pm

Why not just open the case and rotate the fans?

Because rotating the fans doesn't simply change direction of air flow inside device, air flow shape can change very much and the result can be inadequate cooling. So -F and -R SKU often differ much more than just regarding fan direction.

Sanity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:50 pm

It is also not only about the case - it is also about the power supplies. They have their own fans and I generally do not like opening power supplies - at least you would need 2 sets of power supplies or a switch.

And seriously "money they cannot afford"? ARE YOU JOKING? You get a high-end switch for a fraction of the next competitor - and I am not talking of the small stuff here. I talk of the new high-end stuff with 100G links. That is not a 25$ system - they go for 1000 USD or way higher.Plus the network cards and cabling are not cheap either - 10G is run the mill these days, 25G and 100G cards and cables are not.
You also could do a fan direction change by opening and swapping - IF THAT IS CERTIFIED (i.e., if it is in the manual, like adding a M.2 ssd) and thus does (a) not void the warranty and (b) is supposed in that it is documented that it will not overheat part of the system. I would for one be ok with turning the fans (btw., also on the power supplies), but I would love that to be a documented procedure. Like inserting an M.2 - no problem here. It just must be tested.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:38 pm

Mikrotik is not considered enterprise level equipment. Get proper switches for datacenter use if you need features like reverse airflow.

Sanity
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:45 pm

Mikrotik is not considered enterprise level equipment. Get proper switches for datacenter use if you need features like reverse airflow.
By their own accord they classify some of the high end switches as enterprise grade.

This is not about me - this is about THEM. They want into this market, they better fix that.

jimmynesham
just joined

Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:53 pm

To address airflow and cable management concerns in data center TOR configurations, reputable network equipment manufacturers offer switches with reverse airflow to pull cool air from the back of the rack and exhaust hot air from the front. Cable management tools like cable lacing bars, trays, and managers can help organize cables and prevent air loops. It's also important to keep cables short to minimize obstruction of airflow. For power supplies, a configurable solution with alternate power supplies or a small switch on the side can be helpful.

By:myinstabio.in

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:43 pm

If you don't like it, don't buy it.
I'm pretty sure if they had seen added value in it, they would already have adjusted their designs for it. They're not stupid.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:11 pm

People don't always control the rack things go into. And they do sell some accessories already. Plus an "enterprise fan" sounds like a high margin item for Mikrotik, that puts them one step closer someone's definition of enterprise.

Not entirely crazy idea here. Now drilling some holes seems like a quicker solution.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:22 am

drilling some holes seems like a quicker solution.
where have I read this before?.... :lol:
viewtopic.php?p=992882#p992538